Cleaning/sanitizing incubator --- NEW PROBLEM --last post

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carinlynchin, Feb 28, 2009.

1. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I read soemwhere that scrubbing or bleaching can ruin the styrofoam....but then I also remember someone on here had a post with step by step on how to sanitize their incubator...I thought it was MissPRissy, but I can't find that post anywhere....can somone point it out?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I rinse mine out let dry and spray with Lysol, I've never had a problem..

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    I run a cabinet bator so i'm afraid to tell what to use on styrofoam. I don't want u to damage your bator. Surely there is others out there that can help you. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    Well actually I ran into a new problem...my neighbors incubator seems to have old shells in it so I am assuming she never really cleaned it out plus it smells like smoke....now which is the better choice....cleaning out as much as possible and using anyway or cleaning the eggs and pop them into my incubator with my day 15 eggs?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would try and clean it out as much as possible. You dont want to incubate eggs, and have eggs hatching at the same time in the same bator.

Try using some peroxide, and letting it sit for a while in the incubator. The bottom, not the part with the heating element. I dont use bleach in the incubator as ive heard the fumes can stay in the bator, but some people do. If you decide to, make sure to use a very light solution, and rinse rinse rinse.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you use bleach, it should be a weak solution. 1 part bleach to 5 or 6 parts water. Air dry and let set in the sunlight for a couple of days. If you clean the bator out after each use, you can use dawn dish soap and air dry in the sunlight. Some use a weak vineger solution.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The proper dilution for bleach is quarter cup of bleach to gallon of water. The dilution will smell like bleach but not be overpowering. Stronger is not better when it comes to bleach. I have spent my entire life in the food industry and the correct bleach dilution is very importatnt again more is not better.

A very strong bleach dilution is very caustic and corrosive.

8. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    thanks everyone...I didn't have much bleach so I just added enough water to fill the bathtub enough to where the incubator could fill up with water then I added the bleach...it might not have been strong enough, but I could smell it. I cleaned with dish soap before and after the bleach...it came out decently clean....I had to put in some elbow grease though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by