Cleaning the brooder?

I have a tub like that as one of my brooders....that idea IS brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.png

I know huh! I'm so excited and can't wait to get them this weekend. I'll bet this would be a really excellent setup for brooding ducks considering how quickly they can trash a brooder.

That really is brilliant. And for the price of shavings you can buy alot of paper towels!! And I also hate the pine shavings in the water and lose alot of feed due to all the shaving in the feeder.
When they are bigger the shaving are fine, but the wee ones have a hard time finding the feed in the overly pine stuffed feeders! And the water gets sour and I can't think it is good for them when the shaving get in there.

I have my eleven chicks in a 55 gal reptile tank and clean it daily. I have newspaper down , then a layer of paper towel and then the pine shavings. I can easily roll up the newspaper and remove the mess. All the chicks run to one side, as I don't even take them out of the brooder to clean. When I have the newspaper rollled up at the half way point the chicks happily stay at one end while I take a hot rag and clean the glass tank on the other side and then lay down more paper. Then I coax the chicks to the clean side while continuing to roll up the mess and throw away in the big garbage bag beside me.

my chicks are 3 weeks old and definitely need a fresh cleaning daily. They poop ALOT. I made a stupid mistake of letting them on the floor , in the basement , while I did a real thorough cleaning. I put a large old towel down on the floor hoping they'd stay on it and poop, well they pooped on it and every where else. Wow they poop alot. So not such a good idea to let them free range on your floor for any length of time - argh.

Back
Top Bottom