Cleaning To Eat

Niki sure knows how to put on a tutorial, very good job Niki!!

I do almost everything the same except for a couple of steps. When it comes to removing the feathers i put them a semi-boiling pot of water that is over a propane burner. You dont want the water boiling, just almost there. Take the quail with its head, wings and legs (at the knee) cut off and place them in the pot, you can do quite a few birds at a time. They only need to sit in the pot for about 30 seconds to a minute. Pull the bird out using tongs and you can literally wipe the feathers off leaving the skin on. Experiment with time that the birds are in the water, if the feathers are still hard to get off, boil a little more.

As for gutting, i just hold the bird and become an uncertified proctologist, i stick my thumbs into the vent area and pry apart, reach in and grab the guts and pull them out. I use a scraper (the kind for cutting ball shapes out of cantaloupe and watermelons) and i scrape the lungs out with this object, rinse in cold water and the bird is done and ready for the smoker!!

Quote:
Well, now that I've regained consciousness...

Honey the title is cleaning to eat, you didn't think he was asking how to give them a bath?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, now that I've regained consciousness...

Honey the title is cleaning to eat, you didn't think he was asking how to give them a bath?
big_smile.png

Thanks again for the input before we do the next batch I will cheek out the link.... WAD

Back
Top Bottom