Cleaning up after tapeworms

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
I've been battling these monsters for a month now. I've given 2 doses of Valbazen, 10 days apart. I'm getting Z-gold today to dose tonight, and am witholding feed today in hopes that helps. I know that some of my hens are clear, but I don't know which ones, so I"ll dose them all.

A couple questions:

How many days of egg tossing after the Z-gold?

How thorough do I need to clean the coop after this infection? I have poop boards that I scoop once or twice a day and there are shavings on the floor. They free range during the day.

At what point do I need to clean the coop, after I see segments are gone? Can I just replace the pdz in the poop boards and sweep out and replace the shavings or do I need to do a full sterilization?

Thanks for any help......

Toss eggs 14 days after the last dosing with either z-gold or valbazen. Just do a regular cleaning in your coop. Tapeworm eggs are eaten by intermediate hosts (flies, beetles, ants, earthworms and other insects,) which are then eaten by chickens, and that's how chickens are infected. A regular worming schedule will help prevent tapeworm reinfection as well as other worms by continuing to use valbazen.

Thanks dawg53,

since they free range, I now know I will have to be on a more diligent preventative measure. I have a couple hens that are bugs/worm fiends. One will run across the yard every time I turn the hose on because she knows I'll lift the waterer and she will find worms.

how often should I treat with valbazen as a preventative?

Back
Top Bottom