Cleaning up after the wild birds

Fuffy

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Jersey, GB
Hello:)
My little flock has settled in well and are wandering around comfortably, so I decided I could let them through into the larger part of their enclosure. This bit has some drain covers and a rather elaborate wild bird feeding station. So the plan is that the chooks should be allowed in there most of the time but not when the drains are being emptied...obviously.
Soooo they discovered the bird table, and spent all day yesterday cleaning up. Which is great - means there is less chance of a rat, and less wastage in genereal.
But if I leave them alone, will they eventually start eating their pellets again? The bird food is only sunflower seeds - Nothing horrible, but I do think my chooks shld have the pellets with the DE in!!! It is also too difficult to move the fencing every day!
HELP!!!
wink.png

I'd be concerned about my chickens hanging out all day in the same place frequented by wild birds and their droppings.

I know you can't avoid all contact between wild birds and your flock if you free range at all, but this just seems like asking for trouble.

smile.png

Thank you all for your thoughts!
Funny how I never thought there could be a problem, and yet I am the one who had trichiomenaiasis in the wild birds last year, and nearly lost them all!!!
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

So I have moved the bird table this am. Remains to be seen if they will still come...
hmm.png

In the meantime, the chooks are cleaning up the last little remains too small for me to clean up
roll.png

Thanks again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom