Cleaning used chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Honora, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    I am going to be getting a used chicken coop this weekend. Obviously I want to make sure it is free of germs, mites, etc., so what is the best method of disinfecting it? It is a 4 by 8 A-frame coop. Thanks!

2. lilpeepers

lilpeepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    I scrubbed the formerly used and abandoned coop on our property with a mix of warm water, clear (mild) dish soap and vinegar. I let it soak for 30 minutes, then scrubbed it with a bristle brush. I actually hosed the whole thing down even though it is wood. Then I let it dry completely (it was summer) and then dusted all the crevices with DE, then I filled it with play sand. It smelled great and has been very easy to keep clean. I didn't use permethrin powder for mites, but I should have, and I will soon (been reading about how awful they can be). But, I haven't had any issues with mites or any other bugs.

3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I always use bleach. I mix it 4 parts water to 1 part bleach in a spray bottle. I use a shopvac to get all the shavings/dust and whatnot after I scrape the coop out. Then I just spray the whole thing with the bleach solution and let it dry. I started doing this when I had a mold problem a few years ago. I had put boards down on top of the mud in my run. Well a month later when I went to remove the boards I had a big moldy mess. A fellow BYC member told me to spray it with bleach and keep the chickens away for a hour or so. Worked great! Also, when house walls have a minor mold problem they are stripped of the sheetrock then then any wood that has mold is sprayed with bleach.

Anyway...I know some people don't like to use bleach but if you are a bleach user it works great.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I would use 1 part bleach to 9 or 10 parts hot water. Make sure the coop is dirt and dust free (by spraying with water or sweeping with a broom) before applying the bleach solution, as bleach does not work well through a dirty surface. I usually apply the bleach solution with a sponge mop and let it dry on its own. Don't rinse it, as it needs the contact time in order to disinfect. Chlorine is quite volatile, so it will dissipate as it dries, leaving a safe surface. Be careful about breathing in the chlorine fumes, as they are harmful. Don't allow the birds access to the coop until it is completely dry.

5. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I have used bleach for cleaning and getting rid of mold and it does work. However I also use Borax and it does great. It is all natural and is actually suppose to do a better job than bleach. It is excellent for getting rid of fleas and I have used it to rid mold and mildew.

6. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks everyone! I just got the coop; it looks spotless. The people said they have not had chickens for years so I might just spray it with some sort of disinfectant & call it good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by