Clear nasal discharge, minimal sneezing, should I medicate & separate?

teddiliza

Songster
11 Years
Feb 1, 2008
St Louis MO (Jefferson County)
One of my BR type chicks has clear nasal discharge, I have only heard it sneeze twice. But I worry that my other birds might get it. Should I go buy that Tylan 50 stuff I read about on another post? It is a feed store chick. Assume food, water, pine bedding and heat have been perfect. When I handle it, it is never more than 5 minutes out of the brooder.

I'm just paranoid, they're my first chicks!

Last edited:
why dont you try a vit A supplement... either a bird formulation or polyvisol (human liquid childrens vitamin drops>three drops in beak once a day for a week)... see if that helps

It may be nothing. Some chicks are more sensitive to dust or a change in environment. I would monitor. If anything gets worse or changes, post again with additional concerns. I would not recommend medicating at this time. A vitamin supplement wouldn't hurt. Please keep us posted on your little one.

Jody

Okay, this may sound silly, but I think this particular chick is allergic to cheerio dust! I checked on it this evening, no nasal drainage whatsoever, but after crushing up some plain cheerios and giving the chicks their nightly treat....
All of a sudden, it was wiping its beak off on me and sneezed. I think I'll stop feeding it cheerios and see what happens. Since you mentioned dust, it got me to thinking....

Cheerio dust is toxic? :eek:

Cheerios aren't bad for chicks are they? My welsummers and BO just love them for treats! And the red and black sex links act like sharks in a feeding frenzy when I give them some.

Thanks for the warning about the Tylan being for full grown chickens.

your chicks do not need treats... dont give them anything other than their starter and if you like some plain live culture yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom