Clear Plastic Eastern Wall for Maximum Light

Outta Here

Songster
May 17, 2021
For those of you planning coops: Years ago in Idaho, I removed the east wall of my 12'x48' chicken pen and replaced it with a sliding door built of clear plastic corrugated panels. The chickens got the advantage of the very first morning light and never needed artificial light. Unfortunately, I can't do that with our current barn, but I wish I could--it sure gave them maximum egg-laying light! Now I just wake them while it's dark and they go into their eastern-facing outside wire coop, where they watch the sun come up.
These pictures are not great, but they show the idea...
You can see the clear wall at the end of this goat/chicken pen, with the chicken roost in front of it.
original goat barn.jpg

I must have taken the removable hitching post style roost out to clean in this picture....But they roosted right in front of this eastern clear wall.
heidi in barn.JPG

And this is what it looked like on the outside: It was a sliding barn door with latches on sides and bottom for nighttime, built with corrugated clear plastic panels framed with 2x4's, if I remember. Maybe 2x6's...

goat farmers.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you planning coops: Years ago in Idaho, I removed the east wall of my 12'x48' chicken pen and replaced it with a sliding door built of clear plastic corrugated panels. The chickens got the advantage of the very first morning light and never needed artificial light. Unfortunately, I can't do that with our current barn, but I wish I could--it sure gave them maximum egg-laying light! Now I just wake them while it's dark and they go into their eastern-facing outside wire coop, where they watch the sun come up.
These pictures are not great, but they show the idea...
You can see the clear wall at the end of this goat/chicken pen, with the chicken roost in front of it.
View attachment 2786656
I must have taken the removable hitching post style roost out to clean in this picture....But they roosted right in front of this eastern clear wall.
View attachment 2786657
And this is what it looked like on the outside: It was a sliding barn door with latches on sides and bottom for nighttime, built with corrugated clear plastic panels framed with 2x4's, if I remember. Maybe 2x6's...

View attachment 2786658

Awesome idea and pictures thanks for sharing! I did something similar with my roof. My coop and run are in a pole barn so the coop really doesn't need a roof. I secured with hardware cloth and in the winter I lay clear plastic panels on top to add warmth and in the summer I remove to maximize lighting and air flow.

Back
Top Bottom