clear roof panels?

I used both types of plastic corrugated roofing.Clear tinted and opaque.Works great for me.Even on the hottest days the hens seem to like it.They have shade and sun.Seemed to raise the temp a bit,maybe five or so degrees in the summer.I'm hopin it will do that in the winter also.Also,I imagine the snow on top in winter will add some insulating properties also.This is my first year with chickens so we'll see how it goes.

IMG_0508.jpg

Well, remember you will need ventilation in wintertime too (draft-free does not mean airtight
tongue.png
- it just means 'don't point a cold wind right at the chickens' bodies')

And if your wall space will be limited (it might help me understand this if you could post a sketch of your plans?) then it seems even more important to have openable windows. Honest, openable windows are not that difficult.

Of course the simplest thing is to use pre-made windows (from a Habitat for Humanity store, building materials recycling store, garage sales, craigslist, freecycle, acquaintances remodeling house, etc).

But if you can't or don't wanna, it is still really pretty simple to make a wood-framed plexiglas window that hinges at the top so that it tilts out to open. If summer heat is an issue you can make it so it's completely removeable for the months of July and August
wink.png

Also, where in New England are you? I am wondering whether you are overestimating the need for extreme insulation and underestimating the chickens' own heat-production and tolerance for colder temperatures. Again, a sketch of your coop plans might be helpful.

I really don't think that a translucent roof or skylight is likely to be your best bet in a cold climate. (Also it is likely to give you problems during sunny winter days of getting the coop TOO hot, which requires that you open even MORE ventilation to avoid overstressing the chickens...)

Good luck,

Pat

A reply to Pat as the question relates to us- our coop is built in the norwestern side of our barn, where light is scarce in winter. The PalRUF was about the same cost as a conventional roof over the run, and easier to install.
cool.png

Quote:
Sure, that makes perfect sense. But then you're not trying to insulate it also
smile.png

Pat, trying to screw up courage to tell DH that the new run ought to be Palruf-covered to the tune of $400 or so
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom