Clear/White Watery Droppings

Chimken99

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2022
Hi all, I have a couple chickens (that I've noticed so far, posted below & circled) with some strange droppings that I'd like some advice on. I'm not sure if I can afford a big vet bill or expensive medicines at the moment, but if it comes down to it I'll have to see.

Both pullets, a Spotted Sussex and a Blue Cuckoo Maran, are currently twenty weeks old and seem to be a healthy size for their age and breeds. A few weeks after I moved them from the indoor brooder into the renovated coop (a few months ago), I became aware that the Sussex had what I thought to be some pretty abnormal droppings. They were very watery, with a few dabs of brown, smelled bad, and would audibly shoot out from her behind. Besides this, she seemed to be perfectly healthy: eating, drinking, getting around fine, etc., though two of the bigger pullets (Red Stars/Sexlinks) did like to pick on her.

Nowadays the watery droppings continue, and lately I've noticed I can hear her breathing sometimes (like when you hear yourself breathe) which has brought some more worry into my life. She doesn't act lethargic, no snot bubbles, she doesn't leave her mouth open, and she's still eating and drinking, but the Red Stars do still bully her when she gets in the way of their food. The coop does get pretty dusty when all the hens flap around, so I've been thinking maybe the breathing is related to that and that I need to work on more ventilation.

Moving on, just today I noticed one of my Blue Cuckoo Marans has similar droppings (posted below), though I believe it has only started within the past day, and they seem less watery, less stinky, and less clear than the droppings from the Sussex. Again, besides the droppings she seems to be thriving and doesn't share any symptoms with the Spotted Sussex.

All the pullets have full, 24/7 access to a water dish (changed daily), and a feeder (filled with Prince Chick Starter Crumble 20% Medicated). They receive occasional treats in the forms of table scraps (such as vegetable scraps and leftovers), yogurt, scrambled eggs, and stale chips/crackers.

Recently I've started giving the flock some probiotics in their water dish (Sav-A-Chick Probiotic Supplement) though I haven't really taken the time to see if it helps.

The coop they're kept in is a repurposed well pump house with a few eaves cut out for ventilation (probably need to do more). I use pine flakes from Tractor Supply Co. with some dried leaves for bedding and turn it over every day, every month or so I replace the soiled bedding with fresh. They have access to a good-sized, uncovered run from 8:30-9:00 AM until it gets dark, around 6:30 PM.

So, mainly I'm worried if the droppings are a health concern and something that needs to be treated, and if so what route to take.

Thank you, and apologies if I left anything important out.

Attachments

• 315425627_514214230585600_3765940994761446284_n.jpg
    315425627_514214230585600_3765940994761446284_n.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 38
  • 315243035_837539970999997_311560122632840612_n.jpg
    315243035_837539970999997_311560122632840612_n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Thought this would be helpful, the droppings from the Sussex look pretty much exactly like this (not my photo)

Attachments

• Clear-Poos.jpg
    Clear-Poos.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
It is hard to diagnose what is causing the watery droppings. I once had a hen who was laying internally, and had watery poops every night on the roost. If your regular vet would agree to do a fecal float on some droppings, if you can collect some on a puppy pad, to look for worms, coccidiosis, or other parasite. Or you could worm with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days, and consider giving Corid for 5 days. She could be having some problem with her reproductive tract, crop or digestive tract, or an organ issue. It is very hard to know exactly what is wrong with them, even if you spend hundreds at the vet. That is why it is less expensive to just go ahead and treat for possibilities. I would check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks, to make sure that it is emptying normally. The probiotics are a good idea. Probios powder from your feed store might be better and more economical.

It is hard to diagnose what is causing the watery droppings. I once had a hen who was laying internally, and had watery poops every night on the roost. If your regular vet would agree to do a fecal float on some droppings, if you can collect some on a puppy pad, to look for worms, coccidiosis, or other parasite. Or you could worm with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days, and consider giving Corid for 5 days. She could be having some problem with her reproductive tract, crop or digestive tract, or an organ issue. It is very hard to know exactly what is wrong with them, even if you spend hundreds at the vet. That is why it is less expensive to just go ahead and treat for possibilities. I would check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks, to make sure that it is emptying normally. The probiotics are a good idea. Probios powder from your feed store might be better and more economical.
Thank you! I'll try to check with the vet soon to see if they'll do a fecal float. Only one of my eight pullets has started laying, I'm not sure who it is yet, but it may very well be the Cuckoo Maran in question since it was a dark brown egg. I'll be sure to check their crops in the morning, and look into the Valbazen and Probios powder as well (already have Corid on hand). Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom