Clematis - Chicken safe?

Painted Calls

Still the Mayor
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes..

This spring I would like to build a shade teepee using trim board/stakes and some sort of vine to climb and cover it. Would clematis be safe for the chooks? If not, would sweet pea vines be ok?

I realize that this may be a pipe dream because the odds of them killing the vines are pretty great. That's okay though as long as the vines don't kill them back! 😝

Good to know! If it's poisonous it's not even going onto the possibility list. I couldn't chance it even if they wouldn't try it.

I would try my best to give the vines a good protected start, but yes - I feel you're right.

I had a similar idea, what a beautiful sight it would be to have the run covered in pretty vibes. Unfortunately chickens do have there own version of "home decor" that does seem to clash with my hopes and dreams.

I believe sweet peas are poisonous as well.

Runner beans might be nice, though—they have very pretty bright red blooms. Also, roses are not as persnickety as some folks seem to think; maybe a climbing rose of some sort will fit the bill. A native honeysuckle (be careful—the Japanese ones are extremely invasive) or black-eyed Susan vine might be lovely, too, though you'd have a lot of winged company.

Clematis virginiana is o.k, nothing even nibbles on it.
The only thing is the chickens will hang out all day around the vines and eat pollinators.
Crazy hearty vine too, almost murder proof.:)
61VYtuSCZ6L._AC_SX450_.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes..

This spring I would like to build a shade teepee using trim board/stakes and some sort of vine to climb and cover it. Would clematis be safe for the chooks? If not, would sweet pea vines be ok?

I realize that this may be a pipe dream because the odds of them killing the vines are pretty great. That's okay though as long as the vines don't kill them back! 😝
I don't know about clematis, but sweet pea vines sound really good, I don't see any issue on what you're trying to accomplish, please go ahead...

Thanks everyone! If all goes well and I actually get this accomplished this year, I'll post photos!

Back
Top Bottom