Clemente Coop: Currently under construction.

Looks great congratulations, make sure the heat lamp is screwed or double secured, your girls could knock it over when they start flapping around and start a fire in the shavings, after all the work you put in it it would be a shame to lose it all over something so easy to secure.
Thanks jetodg! Yes, I tied the lamp to the wooden support using metal wire. It's not going anywhere.

So, the chickens & ducks are about 7 weeks old. only 2 (ish) more months for eggs?

Edit: Woo hoo! The thread has broken into 2 pages!

Last edited:
I'm now only turning the heat lamp on at night. Going to try some painting today.

So, only one issue so far. Not sure if it's behavioral or mechanical. The Ducks don't go back inside the coop all day. I have to corner them against the house, pick them up, and put them into the coop. This is the third night I've had to do this.

It's either:

A. The ramp is too steep and or narrow.
or
B. They hate the coop and never want to go back once they leave.

Thoughts?

:edit here's the ramp.....

Last edited:
It is done. Two days to paint it, but it is done. I am tired.

My **** phone isn't letting me upload pictures. Will do tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ducks and ramps are a tricky combo some breeds are more agile than others, for instance i have had my scovie females climb up the ramp into the one chicken coop but others could not(my pekin and scovie drakes for instance)

Ducks are not like chickens, they don't come home to roost so often need 'assistance' for coming in, they may follow the chickens as time goes by or may always need a nudge, i have to herd most of mine in at night unless the weather is super bad, then usually they do.

Last edited:
Oh wow, you are just 2 weeks ahead of me ;) I also have 2-3 week old chicks and ducks, just finished my coop and will move them in pretty soon! And judging by your video, we have about the same number of chicks.

My ducks are also HUGE! They seem to grow faster then the meat birds, I am very surprised. Yours don't seem to have real feathers yet? Mine either, but my chicks have some already.. strange how they don't evolve the same way!

Do you prefer your ducks or the chicks? I think the chicks are more tempted to try stuff, they can go up a ramp and eat from a hanging bowl in the brooder. The chicken never go on the "second floor" as I call it. Either they don't understand or don't like the ramp, similar to your ducks not going in the coop at night. Maybe their just not made for climbing?

The ducks are way more fun with humans and dogs haha. My biggest duck follows my dog around all over my lawn. It likes to be picked up. The chicks really don't care about humans or the dog lol. I guess it is better that way, I won't get attached ;).

Your coop is very cute, good job!

Picture time!!

Here's the before:

And here's the after:

Turned out pretty good. I'm quite happy with how it changes the look/feel of my back yard.

Sabz: The short story is that the ducks are much more work than the chicks. So I like the chickens better.

I have to chase the ducks around at night to get them back into the coop. It helps when my wife can assist, then just herding them in will work. But if I'm on my own..... I have to catch a couple of the louder ducks, use a piece of plywood to cordon them in the coop, and then wait for the others to follow them in. Or I just have to catch all six of them, which is exhausting.

The chickens are much more amenable to being picked up by my daughters (1 and 6 years old). The ducks run like heck as soon as you get too close.

Back
Top Bottom