Clever hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bantamfantom, Jan 13, 2011.

1. bantamfantom

bantamfantom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    I had Bantams when I was a child, so I bought 10 straight run, not knowing the breeds either. I ended up with more roosters than hens. I have 2 small hens that are quite clever. I collect the little eggs and feed them to my barn cats. The little gold hen always tried to peck me and not move off her eggs, being so small it wasn't hard to get them away from her, but she tried her hardest to be a mommy. One day I was out feeding and collecting, I heard peep peep peep. There was only one place this could be coming from, and there they were. Seven newly hatched chicks. I could fit them all in one hand. So tiny and so cute. SHe had found a little nook inside the wall to keep her eggs from being collected. She came out to eat so I never thought she was nesting. So I can be outsmarted by a chicken.

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    omg that is so smart wow what breed pekins??????

3. Oboistonquack

Oboistonquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Maine
    Smart!! [​IMG] Yay for the chicks!!

4. bantamfantom

Jan 12, 2011
    From what I have looked at Dutch light browns. The pen where we bought them just said Bantams. I got some Gold Seabrights out of that run, and these weren't as recognizable to me, so I looked on-line at pictures(?), what else is a girl to do. I don't have any chicky friends, or horsey friends for that matter. I do know a lady that shows birds and she said that these hens were good for hatching out pheasant eggs, thay will sit on anything, she had one that would sit on lightbulbs.

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    cool story. nice username.

6. bantamfantom

Jan 12, 2011
    I love my chickens, they are so much fun.
    I want to make several rooster runs and start collecting the large colorful breeds. But I don't think hubby will agree.

7. bantamfantom

Jan 12, 2011
    Here is the clever hen herself.[​IMG]

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

9. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    [​IMG] little chickies!

You are a lucky chicken-mother! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by