clip quail's wings?

I personally would never clip a Buttons wings. They need them for escape if need be and also for balance with breeding. The males use them to balance while breeding the hen. They also use them in shows of display. I think they would get more hurt with clipped wings as far as trying to fly some as they would be put off balance.

I don't even clip my Senegal Parrot's wings as I believe that a lot of the feather picking that the bigger birds do is due to boredom and not being able to fly. It is a great sight to see your Parrot flying around the house. Anyway, back to Quails, I would not do it to them as your fertility may go down with your unbalanced males. Also I think they need to be able to get away if they have to.

Eh, for buttons, what are they trying to escape? I have no experience with breeding, so I'll rely on you for that.
smile.png
But, IMO, at least in my home, they're more likely to kill themselves by flying around than by only being able to fly to the floor. There really isn't much that they would have to escape from in my home. Plus, my birds, once you get close to them and they're on the ground, they don't fly away anyways. They either just sit there, or they run away, and that was before clipping. The flying part is a hassle only when *I* get into the cage, nothing else can get into the cage to let them escape. In my home, they're in more danger when they try to escape, because I'm the only "thing" that they would have to escape from. Flying isn't going to help them escape from other buttons either. I guess it just depends on each individual situation on that one.

I'm never going to breed my buttons though and they don't really have anything to escape from. I think the risk of flying into something is too great. I'm afraid my budgies/lovebirds/tiels will do that and end up breaking their neck or something but that seems even more likely with the buttons (IE: they freak out abut something and just fly straight into a wall in their panick to get away) Besides that, another reason I want to clip my birds wings (not just my buttons) is because they'll be tamer then. Like for instance if one of my budgies flutters to the ground and wants to get back up on their play gym, etc they'll let me pick them up and set them up there and eventually they're look at me as an 'elevator' instead of an enemy. And they'll be easier to put back in their cage and probably many more reasons.

I've had my budgies and tiels clipped before but my dad didn't do a very good job so they could still get enough elevation to fly up. The trick is to clip them just enough that they can't fly but can still flutter a little so they won't fall like a rock to the ground.

Last edited:
my black rosecomb bantams are so BAD! they fly everywhere (indoors) and I just know they are going to break their necks one day soon or get away. i cant clip their wings bc i show them tho....
sad.png
barnie.gif

Quote:
I was just going to state that if you are planing on showing any of your birdies dont clip thier wings. cant show with clipped wings (except showmanship-then you would need to point out that the wings are clipped and that is a DQ)

I clip my indoor buttons wings but not the outdoor ones. The reason for this is because once one of my button quails flipped out inside, shot straight up and hit his head on the ceiling, broke his tiny little neck. Sadly, he only lived for a few seconds after that. So having clipped wings slows them down and makes them less prone to injury. Its very easy to do, just clip off a few of the primaries on one or both wings with a sharp pair of scissors. Leave growing blood feathers intact, though, you dont want bloody buttons!

I pinion breeder birds at 2 weeks old.... Any younger and they stress badly. Any older and the wing bone hardens and its more traumatic for them. At two weeks there is usually only the first drop of blood. IMHO there is no need to pinion coturnix thou.... Not much to be gained because they will still try to fly even thou they can only get a good hover on....

I pinion breeder birds at 2 weeks old.... Any younger and they stress badly. Any older and the wing bone hardens and its more traumatic for them. At two weeks there is usually only the first drop of blood. IMHO there is no need to pinion coturnix thou.... Not much to be gained because they will still try to fly even thou they can only get a good hover on....
Would you happen to have any posts/information on how to pinion a bird? Mine are too old now for it to be done to them, but in the future should I keep more birds, I'd be curious to see how it can be done.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom