Clipped Wings; Arthritis; Brain Damage;

Pics

-Flash-

Free Ranging
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
Hi,
I have an Isa Brown hen who was found wondering around town. Her wings are cut really badly. She barely has any left! I was wondering if anyone knows anything that will make it a little more comfortable for her.

I also have an 8 yr. old Wyandotte who has Arthritis, anything to sooth her legs?

And- last one- a cross breed rooster that is brain damaged, he is always tripping over things, including his own feet, he was attacked badly by our other cross rooster, and had scabs all over his feet. It's been nearly 3 weeks, anyway to teach him to walk, I'm guessing just waiting.

Thanks so much! Sorry, it's a bit much.

I don't think that there is much hope for the rooster, he fell in a bucket of ice cold water when he was young.
IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

Here's the hen with the clipped wings
IMG_6390.JPG
IMG_6389.JPG

And the hen with arthritis

IMG_6404.JPG
IMG_6408.JPG
IMG_6405.JPG

The wings look ok, they were just trimmed to keep her from flying. She likely will regrow the feathers when she molts.
Unless she has any skin issues, then I would leave her alone.

The rooster - I'm not really seeing anything wrong with the feet. You can try vitamin therapy for the balance issues, but if he suffered head trauma, those may not help. Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet B-Complex can help support neurological function. Try the vitamins for a few weeks to see if those make a difference.

For the hen - is she having difficulty walking? At 8 years of age, things start to break down and joints get stiff. If she's still moving around ok, then I would just observe her.
Aspirin can be given to give a bit of relief, but it's not for long term use in chickens. 2 or 3 days in a row MAX is the norm. You may want to gauge her pain level and only give pain medication as a last resort or on really bad days. 1/2 of an 81mg aspirin twice a day for no more than 3 days in a row.

The wings look ok, they were just trimmed to keep her from flying. She likely will regrow the feathers when she molts.
Unless she has any skin issues, then I would leave her alone.

The rooster - I'm not really seeing anything wrong with the feet. You can try vitamin therapy for the balance issues, but if he suffered head trauma, those may not help. Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet B-Complex can help support neurological function. Try the vitamins for a few weeks to see if those make a difference.

For the hen - is she having difficulty walking? At 8 years of age, things start to break down and joints get stiff. If she's still moving around ok, then I would just observe her.
Aspirin can be given to give a bit of relief, but it's not for long term use in chickens. 2 or 3 days in a row MAX is the norm. You may want to gauge her pain level and only give pain medication as a last resort or on really bad days. 1/2 of an 81mg aspirin twice a day for no more than 3 days in a row.
Okay, the arthritis hen does flap really hard when she walks and she doesn't walk much.

Warm Epsom salt soaks may help with your hen's arthritis, but looking at her pic and how she's tucking her tail, she's likely in considerable pain. Do keep an eye out for any sudden changes in behaviour or disinterest in normal activities. She does look to be in decline, so do consider her quality of life going forward.

Warm Epsom salt soaks may help with your hen's arthritis, but looking at her pic and how she's tucking her tail, she's likely in considerable pain. Do keep an eye out for any sudden changes in behaviour or disinterest in normal activities. She does look to be in decline, so do consider her quality of life going forward.
she's been like this for 2ish yrs now! I'm so sorry I didn't help her sooner!

can you tell me how to make 'warm Epsom salt soaks', please?

i have an arthritic hen, she has not been walking well, she usually walks backwards and flaps her wings and that's it. i have cut out a box with leg holes and elevated it, for 30 minutes a day i have her sit in it with her legs suspended to give her some relief.
I also give her half a capsule of turmeric every day, take a break saturday and sunday,

give shigru, read @Saaniya article about that.

the turmeric can raise blood pressure so take days off

also putting ACV in waters twice a week helps as well, I put a tablespoon of it in

she is almost 9 years old now and lives in her own cage to avoid getting pecked at but she is sharing a wire wall with the others and i monitor her time with them

My hen has arthritis in both of her hocks so it affects her quite a bit, a long time ago I made a thread about it with pictures if interested

I have never heard of epsom soaks

Back
Top Bottom