Clipping bantam wings

Sep 19, 2020
Hello! I got another Serama hen almost 2 months ago and she has been molting her feathers. She is the smallest Serama I’ve had but her flight feathers seem big enough to clip, what do y’all think? I have to clip her wings to let her free range as she is an extremely good flyer and we have neighbors with lots of dogs and she could fly over our fence even though it is very tall. She is very calm and likes being held at least!Her second flight feathers has a tear as it grew in and looks almost like 1 feather with a small feather next to it but they are connected. Can I clip them now or should I wait some more? Thanks!
144F61BE-FA6E-4B1C-AF83-65D8E544D6B7.jpeg

i have the same problem as you but with coyotes, we have a 4 ft chain link fence and past that is where the local pack of coyotes live. we also only keep bantams so i do clip their wings.i have found that if you clip the wings of the birds at the top of the pecking order it seems to discourage the other birds from jumping it. i have a tiny oegb pullet and her only defense against the hawks and coyotes is flying so i dont clip her wings.

i have the same problem as you but with coyotes, we have a 4 ft chain link fence and past that is where the local pack of coyotes live. we also only keep bantams so i do clip their wings.i have found that if you clip the wings of the birds at the top of the pecking order it seems to discourage the other birds from jumping it. i have a tiny oegb pullet and her only defense against the hawks and coyotes is flying so i dont clip her wings.
Thank you for the response! Do you think her feathers are long enough clip?

Back
Top Bottom