Clipping one or two wings

See following link but modify.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight

Cut the all the primaries so they extend no more than an inch beyond flesh of wing. Example in thread above is not cut quit tight enough. Feel around a lot to become familiar with all the feathers of the wings and how they are actually connected to the living tissue. You want to be comfortable as you give such a close cut. Make certain scissors are heavy enough for job. Many people cut too far out because scissors are too light. This time of year some birds will be in process of molting wing feathers which will cause two complications. First, feathers in blood will bleed but I do not think the birds can feel and second, cut feathers may soon be replaced with uncut versions.
Okay, so cutting the primaries only, as opposed to ALL the feathers, throws off their balance. However hard they "pump", they are getting an imbalance of "thrust : lift" ratio, and will nowhere. But if you cut ALL the feathers on a wing, then they are back to being in balance, and just need to "pump" harder to achieve some amount of flight. Is that right?

Okay, so cutting the primaries only, as opposed to ALL the feathers, throws off their balance. However hard they "pump", they are getting an imbalance of "thrust : lift" ratio, and will nowhere. But if you cut ALL the feathers on a wing, then they are back to being in balance, and just need to "pump" harder to achieve some amount of flight. Is that right?
I have had American game roosters get really beat up in the mud causing loss of virtually primary and secondary feather function. Such birds could still jump with respect to leg power like normal although without aerodynamic assistance from wings. Such birds were unable to jump up on even a front tractor wheel which was not quite 36". In those instances loss of feather function was symmetrical. The birds can only flap / pump so fast and most of the flight function of primaries is from outer 2/3's. Once most of feather gone, even a hummingbird flap rate will not get bird up.

When leaving secondaries intact bird can still get some benefits from feathers with respect to maneuvering which is important to clambering. Clambering and flight are not the same because legs still provide all the thrust.

As a kid I used to clip pigeon wings (much more capable fliers but less capable jumpers) using different feather modifications. Birds with one wing intact could out flutter those with both when cuts otherwise the same. Birds could compensate within limits.

Listen, regardless of clipping, some are just freaky jumpers. We've clipped one and that seems to do the job for our Isa Browns who kept jumping our fence. After raising the fence and clipping wings they've stopped. I've heard Leghorns are freaky jumpers, as well as some breeds, which is why people generally keep them in enclosed coops or otherwise purchase different breeds - lest you want your bird flying off.

Back
Top Bottom