Clipping Wings

janna731

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
We have 3, 9 month old hens and just got 16 new baby chicks. Can someone give me any info on clipping wings? When would I clip the chicks wings for the first time? How often do I need to clip the older hens wings?

Thank you for any help!!!!!

Welcome to BYC!

I do not clip wings.

Clipping wings leaves them unable to fly - not that they fly very far, usually just up to a tree liimb or roost height.

If a predator got after one of your hens or chicks they would have no way to get out of the path. The fight or flight would end with the predator most likely getting your chickens. Once that happens they know where a free and easy chicken dinner is being served and will come back until there isn't a chicken left.

Wing clipping is really a not necessary part of keeping chickens.

You will get lambasted for mentioning wing clipping on here....but none the less...some of us really dont have an option but to do so.

The link provided is a good one. I plan on clipping as well. At least once to see its effectiveness.
Its important to remember...they are chickens...not my kids.

Thanks for the help. ALL valid points, I never considered the predator situation. I just thought it was something that needed to be done or your chickens would fly away and not return.

Anyone else have an opinion?

If you don't have a tall enough fenced in area you might have to clip their wings. Also if you're in this for productive business that's probably different.

For many of us this is our passion. Funny story - Last week my big roo, Mr. Ed made one hop and flew right up on top of the fence gate - 7' and started to crow.
ep.gif
I was blown away cause this was the first time I'd seen him jump up onto anything - not even the picnic table. The point is that it made me realize that they can get out if they want to, but they love being together and they're happy.
love.gif

I am not going to clips the girls' wings as I plan on keeping them in a covered run. However, I used to have parrots and I clipped the flight feathers on just one of the wings...it kept them from getting any lift to fly...so no worries of them taking to the skies.

I think you must do what you feel is best for you, your chickens and your circumstances & situation.

Good Luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom