1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clipping Wings???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaurenV, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Okay, I'm not sure that this goes under this catagory but, my chickens are getting in the preplanted field next to my house. They can also fly over the fence that encloses them in their little area. Can we clip the feathers on their wings to make them shorter so it is harder for them to fly?? Thanks

2. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    We clipped our chickens wings. It was way easier than we thought. You just don't want to go too short. Look on line for some pictures. We used kitchen scissors and a towel. The chickens did not even care. It is kind of funny when you are done and they think that they can fly. They are really pretty heavy and drop like rocks. [​IMG]

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Ha! Had to cut my turkeys' wings (when I still had them) bc they decided that roosting on top of the coop was better than inside. [​IMG]

You should have seen them try the next afternoon to get up there, lol. They were climbing and flapping so till I thought they were going to hurt themselves. We finally had to catch them and manually put them away. They never tried again after that. [​IMG]

4. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Okay thankyou I will try to do that as soon as possible.

5. MyHappyChicks

MyHappyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    I had to start cutting the wings on my birds also. I just cut one side so that they can get away from predators if they need to. The rosters and toms are the only ones that don't get done. I keep them for uncut for the protection they give to the girls. The boys last week took out and killed a hawk that thought chicken dinner would be nice.

6. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We clipped all our girls, you only need to clip one wings flight feathers. They can still fly but it circles, can't get much height

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Just make sure you only clip one wing. If you clip both wings, they will just learn to flap harder in order to fly. The point is to make them un-balanced, then they give up on trying to fly to their destiantion. In the beginging it usually helps to have one person hold the bird while you hold the wing and clip. [​IMG]

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed. Just clip one. It's easy to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by