Clipping wings???

Crafty-Duck

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Lucky Duck Pond
I clipped one wing on each chicken but they are still flying over the fence!!!!! their fence is 4 ft high my question is will they always be able to fly over it or did I not cut enough off? But really I think I cut as much off as I could. What does everyone think?

Once the large fowl breeds are full grown, they tend not to fly as much.
Bantam breeds are still able to fly quite well.
If there is something on the other side of the fence they really want, they will definitely hop the fence to get it.
I have a large vegetable garden that the chickens really love, so I keep electric netting around it.
The netting is only about 36-inches high, but they don't fly over.
I do not clip any wings only because my chickens free range and they need to be able to fly away from possible danger.

We cut all the flights and all the primaries off both wings. We have large fowl, but they would still fly over the 4' fence if we allowed it.

Our chickens are pastured, but I don't think that allowing them their flight feathers would protect them from danger. A chicken's first instinct is to run from danger, not fly. I've seen fully-flighted pullets attacked by a dog and a hawk, and not one bird took to the air.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom