clipping wings

USAmma

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I have parrots and cockatiels and keep their wings clipped so they don't fly off. Well my 2 week old quail are starting to become airborne. I was afraid of them getting out of the coop and going over the fence or something, or being impossible to capture if they got loos running and fluttering around the yard. I just clipped their wing feathers too. It works! They hop about 1 foot and then then go back down. No more danger of them bumping their little heads on the top of the 3 foot coop I have set up. I have put foam on the ceiling just in case. It's so simple to clip them, I don't know why more people don't do it if they have a smaller flock.

Who else clips their quail?

I have clipped wings on bobwhites before. They have a tendency of flying far if they escape.

With my cots and buttons, I don't bother. When they get out, they normally stay close and allow me to pick them up. I do, however, keep a net on top of my pen just in case I have one that wants to run.

I'm glad you decided to keep foam on the ceiling. There will be a time frame of 2 or 3 weeks after molt that you can't clip wings due to blood feathers. During this time, they can still boink their heads.

Back
Top Bottom