1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Close Call Last Night...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katt66, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    So we got day old chicks in the beginning of October. They're now four weeks old and fully feathered and I've been introducing them to our existing flock of 5 month old and under hens. I locked the new chicks in the coop during the day with a screen over the doorway and confine the older chickens to the enclosed run for the past few days. At night I confine the chicks to a small kennel IN the coop and let the older chickens in to roost so they'll be together but safely separated to avoid any picking or bullying till they get used to each other.

Last night I left everybody out when we took the kids Trick or Treating thinking I'd be back not too late and would put them all away for the night later than usual. When we pulled in to the house I immediately ran over to the coop. All was quiet but my heart skipped a beat and I about died when I noticed the screen had been knocked down. I didn't even look in the coop I just quickly scanned the ground in the run looking for bloody pieces of babies and chunks of feathers, imagining the worst.

Then I looked up and there's our young rooster and his favorite girl, a gold Sebright roosted on top of the coop door. (it's hinged to swing to the right and opens out against the side of the coop and tied open during the day. Sitting in the coop doorway and snuggled up as close to the rooster and Sebright as they can get are the 4 babies. And then I open the side coop door and there's the other four hens sleeping on the roost like nothing unusual happened that day.

I was tempted to leave them as they were as they were all sleeping and obviously not bothering with each other at all. But since the new babies are a full three to four months smaller than my oldest hens I was afraid of what they could do to them if I didn't get down there before they woke up this morning. I do have high hopes though after this that I will for sure have little problem getting these guys to all get along when the time comes.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How sweet!!

3. HenGirl2002

HenGirl2002 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    How lucky!

HenGirl2002

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by