Close to laying?

My RIR got a bigger and more red comb a couple weeks before she started to lay. It got noticeably floppy a day or two after she started. Yours looks pretty floppy (though I think leghorns are known for their big combs, maybe?) so I’d guess an egg is soon! Have you done a pelvic check? Doing so on my RIR allowed me to know that she was likely within a couple days of laying (and I was right!).

I read somewhere when pullets are about to lay an egg their comb gets redder. This is my 17 week old leghorn mix, do you think she is close to laying? Is there a way to tell?
Looks more like a Cream Legbar mix.

Bright red, often glossy comb and waddles indicates a healthy and sexually mature bird.
Yes, that birds comb looks pretty red, but not plump and glossy.
You may be amazed when the comb gets plumper and glossy.

I watched a youtube today that said the color of their eggs can be determined (before they start laying) by the color of their earlobes. Judging by the photograph, her eggs should be white. When she finally lays her first egg for you, please let us know if they are indeed white eggs, please.
Not always true. Cream Legbars have white earlobes but lay blue shells.
Since this bird is a mix she may or may not lay a blue shell...could lay green or light blue, or white shell with brown coating, depending on genetics and coating color.
There was a another thread recently about a CLB in EU that laid light brown.
OP did some research and found some interesting genetic background about it.

Try a pelvic check- feel between the two bones very near to her vent. If you can fit at least 2 fingers in between them, she should be close!!
Yes, here's how:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Tho pelvic spread, like squatting, can happen a couple weeks before actually laying.

Bright red, often glossy comb and waddles indicates a healthy and sexually mature bird.

I watched a youtube today that said the color of their eggs can be determined (before they start laying) by the color of their earlobes. Judging by the photograph, her eggs should be white. When she finally lays her first egg for you, please let us know if they are indeed white eggs, please.
I will do!

Looks more like a Cream Legbar mix.

Yes, that birds comb looks pretty red, but not plump and glossy.
You may be amazed when the comb gets plumper and glossy.

Not always true. Cream Legbars have white earlobes but lay blue shells.
Since this bird is a mix she may or may not lay a blue shell...could lay green or light blue, or white shell with brown coating, depending on genetics and coating color.
There was a another thread recently about a CLB in EU that laid light brown.
OP did some research and found some interesting genetic background about it.

Yes, here's how:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Tho pelvic spread, like squatting, can happen a couple weeks before actually laying.
Thanks for the video! A legbar and leghorn mix was the other option we thought about. In the photo the earlobes look quite white but in real live they have kind of a greenish tint to them, so it could be!

I noticed 2 weeks ago that the combs on 2 of mine had gotten larger and red. The next week one of them started squatting when my boys would try to catch them. Then we got home this Sunday from a weekend trip and found our first egg in the coop.

17 weeks old white leghorn/Rhode Island Red mix

I noticed 2 weeks ago that the combs on 2 of mine had gotten larger and red. The next week one of them started squatting when my boys would try to catch them. Then we got home this Sunday from a weekend trip and found our first egg in the coop.

17 weeks old white leghorn/Rhode Island Red mix
Nice! I always thought that they all began laying after 21 weeks, but good to know more people have experiences with younger pullets. Hopefully i will get my first egg too soon 😀

My RIR got a bigger and more red comb a couple weeks before she started to lay. It got noticeably floppy a day or two after she started. Yours looks pretty floppy (though I think leghorns are known for their big combs, maybe?) so I’d guess an egg is soon! Have you done a pelvic check? Doing so on my RIR allowed me to know that she was likely within a couple days of laying (and I was right!).
Try a pelvic check- feel between the two bones very near to her vent. If you can fit at least 2 fingers in between them, she should be close!!
I tried the pelvic check and i think a egg is coming soon! She wouldn't sit still so it was quite hard 😅

Back
Top Bottom