Closing the door?

You should always close the door at night period, if temperatures get unreasonable you have to handle that other ways other than the door.
Mosquitos though are fowl pox carriers but so are any other insects that land on any infected birds because it can transfer from lesions to bug feet.
Sadly though there are just as many mosquitos in the daylight so barring vaccination there isn't much a person can do.:)

I am confused as a baby raccoon . what does the door being open have to do with mosquito's coming in when you have wire cloth covering open windows or vents?
Pete

Coop related: What do you all do at night as far as closing your coop doors - other than for predators? I'm curious to know as we live in Northern MN and have normally always closed the door at night after the girls have 'went to bed' (In the winter because it's cold! and in the spring so far to help protect them from mosquitoes).

I've been concerned lately as the temps are rising... should we be leaving the door open at night for cooler air for them? We have a box fan in the one window that runs continually, and then an oscillating fan 'inside' the door of the coop to help move air. They have the window that the box fan is in that we put mosquito net and of course predator proofed, but am wondering - if we left the door open at night, would the mosquitoes be too much for them? I've read conflicting information regarding disease from mosquitoes/bugs/etc., but wondering what is really in their best interest (in your opinion since I can't find anything that is on common ground). What do you guys do or do you have suggestions? We've considered putting mosquito netting up on the 'inside' where they are but have so far decided against it (financial and irrational/unnecessary?).

Photos are of coop inside and out. The inside of the left of the coop is divided into two sections - one for our older girls and the other for our newer girls, until they can all be together when they are the same size. đź“· Also, the right side of the coop is/will be used for our meat birds - and wondering the same question as we will need to put a door on there as the previous renters "remodeled" (don't ask!).

Thank you so much!!!
And if it helps any to know I close the door to mine every night and in centralish Virginia the summertime temperatures range from low to mid 90s in top out at around 100 +/-Usually average low to mid 90s for summer during the day. I may be wrong because I've never been there but I think Minnesota climate is a little cooler so I'm thinking you will be fine. If the only time they're in there with the door closed it's overnight there shouldn't be an issue. Actually may cause you to have less issues
And if it's maybe their water inside the coop that has you worried about mosquitoes you could maybe put some window screening behind the hardware cloth on any ventilation areas. Just an idea if mosquitoes is a worry and/or problem

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom