1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cloth diapers as bedding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LifeIsSchool, Mar 13, 2013.

1. LifeIsSchool

LifeIsSchool New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Hello! I'm a total noob here, just got my first mini flock of 6 chicks yesterday.

I've been using papertowels and/or newspaper as bedding to start, but I'm not loving it.

I was wondering if anyone has used cloth diapers (prefolds) as bedding in the brooder. It seems like a decent solution to me, better than paper towels and reuseable, but I'm wondering what the drawbacks are that I'm not considering. I know the laundry, but I washed my kids' poop in my washing machine so I don't think chicken poop would be different? Am I wrong?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I just used pine shavings from the beginning. Personally, I wouldn't want to do all that laundry. [​IMG]

Oh! and [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2

I have always been pretty happy with pine shavings. Cloth diapers seem messy. I imagine the poop would stay on top and they would need to be washed very frequently. I find that I don't have to change the shavings all that often if you get a nice layer. Just lift the water and feeder up off the ground so that they don't kick the shavings in.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X3. I've always used pine shavings right from day one. Stays nice and dry and makes a nice bed for babies to sleep in. I personally don't like anything that lets lots of poop sit around where all those little feet are just constantly walking through it. Shavings are always getting scratched around and stirred up so the poop gets covered up and dries out pretty quick.

5. LifeIsSchool

LifeIsSchool New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    so if I use pine shavings, how often to I change it out?

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    When it starts to look yucky or smell bad...don't let it go too long...but you don't have to change them all that often with chicks. Just make sure to stir them up really well if the chicks aren't doing a great job at it.

7. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree with Yay Chicks! and[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by