Cloudy eggs (inside)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pigcoon, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    Every now and then when we break an egg, it has excess white inside and everything looks very cloudy. We haven't been using these when we get one.

These hens are about 23-24 weeks old and have been laying for about five weeks.

What's going on with these eggs and are they o.k. to use?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The eggs that are cloudy are fresh? Normally a cloudy egg is bad, I don't know what would cause a fresh egg to be cloudy [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The fresher the egg, the cloudier the white.
    Let me see if I can explain this in a way it'll make sense. When a hen first lays an egg it's full of carbon dioxide, which clouds the white.
    As the egg ages, the carbon dioxide escapes thru the pores in the eggshell in exchange for oxygen. As the level of carbon dioxide drops and the level of oxygen increases, the white clears.

4. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Yep, cloudy egg is a fresh egg. If you wash your eggs before you store them they won't be as cloudy as the CO2 escapes faster.

Also, when my hens started laying again from their molt at least one of them was laying eggs with extra white protein around the yolk. Looked kind of weird but otherwise perfectly edible. [​IMG] The eggs all appear normal now.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well, I guess you learn something new everyday [​IMG] I'm allergic to eggs, so I rarely if ever crack a fresh one open....that's my excuse [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by