Cloudy Pupils

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
I have just noticed that me 'runt of the litter' hen has cloudy eyes... What would be causing this?
Would the use of Triple Antibiotic with Bacitracin/Neomycin help at all?
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
They are all (3 RIR and 3 BR) 23 weeks... she (BR) is just less developed - Comb & Wattle appearance - than the others. She is pecked by some of the others, and very intimidated by some of them. I have seen her get pecked very close to the eye if not in the eye. Both of her eyes have a cloudy circle in the center.

Quote:
There are several possibilities regarding cloudy eyes and none of them are good news. I URGE you to use the search box and search for"Marek's disease." I dont know much about it, but cloudy eyes are a symptom. There's a wealth of information on here about it. My second guess would be late stages of eyeworm, but you would supposedly be able to see the worm(s) in the eyes. My third guess would be conjunctivitis...you would need to clean her eyes with saline eyewash (human kind is ok) and get some terramycin eye ointment and apply as directed on the package-treat for 7-10 days or as package directs. TSC would have it or possibly your feed store. I hope it's not Marek's...good luck.

Well, for now I have brought her inside and will keep her separated from the rest for a few days to monitor. She may be lonely, but at least she will not be picked on and I can keep a closer eye on her. In the meantime I will do some more research and decide what course of action to take depending on any symptoms/developments. Anyone with any more ideas or similar experience?
Thanks.

I'm ruling out Marek's Disease.
1. She was vaccinated
2. It is not her Iris that is gray, but a small cloudy circle right in the center of her eyes.
3. She is showing no other signs of Marek's that I have read about.
I am thinking either conjunctivitis or scaring of the inner eyelid due to pecking.

If it is scaring, what is the best treatment?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom