Clovis NM - Changing the Law

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by AuberyMirkwood, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Hi all!

Here in Clovis "No person shall keep poultry within one hundred feet of any residence or business establishment, except the residence or business establishment of the person owning or controlling the poultry." This makes it next to impossible to have a backyard flock. I have begun to contact local government entities about how to get this changed. I just thought I'd give everyone here in Clovis a heads up and if you are interested in showing your support just let me know. :)

2. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    If I get that far this will be my proposal. I'm hoping to get goats allowed too.

On lots of less than three acres, there shall be at least 1,500 square feet of lot area for each sheep, or goat; animals under four months old are not counted. Any building, pen, or corral for agricultural animals or birds shall be at least 20 feet from any existing dwelling unit other than the owner.

Goats and sheep shall be only of the dwarf, miniature, or pygmy variety.

The Poultry limit is 15. No Person shall have more than one rooster in a Household.

All livestock and poultry shall be kept in such a manner as not to constitute a nuisance, through violation of the following regulations:
    A. A. Offensive noise, odor or dust shall be effectively controlled.
    B. B. Areas devoted to livestock and poultry, including accessory buildings or structures, shall be constructed and maintained to discourage concentration and breeding of insect or rodent pests.
    C. C. All animals shall be confined within owner's property boundaries.
    D. D. All animal feed must be stored in rodent proof containers. Hay is not counted.
    E. E. No person shall keep or maintain more than two goats on any premises within the city of Clovis. Animals under four months old are not counted.
    F. F. No person shall keep or maintain any male goat or sheep exceeding the age of 6 months within the city.

3. Fairiesb4u

Fairiesb4u New Egg

Jun 30, 2015
    I have owned chickens in Clovis NM for around 13 years now and until recently happily my neighbors love them the area kids love them and they are pets and frequently a part of our lives.

A new animal control officer recently who I called to pick up feral kittens caught in a cage seeing my chickens told me I am new here but I do not think you can HAVE chickens.

Told him I have had them for 13 or so years and no complaints they are well cared for.

He came back 3 hours later with a sheet of old ordinances and told me I could not have them and would have to get rid of them "he thinks" I told him no they have always been here and no I did not.

He then decided to write a citation could not find what code I may be breaking and told me sorry but hopefully the judge lets you keep them....

He apologized several times told him I am not the only one in the neighborhood with chickens he said and it made me laugh he would have to go door to door to see who has them? Seriously, we have dogs being stolen for dog fighting and a horrible messy shelter with a torn up pit bull in his care not getting medical attention and he thinks he has time to go door to door looking and citing chicken people?

So now I have to go ask the judge in court why it is suddenly an issue with this animal control officer when for the last 13 years many in Clovis, NM have chickens in the yard.

4. Fairiesb4u

Fairiesb4u New Egg

Jun 30, 2015
    I am currently fighting to save my chickens I have had since 2001 in my FRONT yard for 13 years. The city, town and state and animal control all knew I had them as various town workers and animal control officers over the years have been to my home for events or stopped in during the work day I NEVER HID them and I am a state inspected licensed daycare for almost the same amount of time the state inspected my home and yard and chickens and passed the inspection. I also have my neighbors signed support saying they waive the 100 ft enjoy the chickens and support me they have never had a violation or complaint the area school children and my grandchildren love them and they are therapy pets as I am disabled [​IMG]Henny and Penny with Pitbull Bobo the children loved them at the Ethnic fair this link is the petition to change the law. https://www.change.org/p/clovis-nm-...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2015-07-04/clovis-may-pluck-chickens-maple-street-roost

http://www.abqjournal.com/614514/news/woman-with-chickens-fights-city-hall-in-clovis.html

http://www.abqjournal.com/614104/news-around-the-region/resident-protests-chicken-citations.html

http://www.pntonline.com/2015/07/13/cock-a-doodle-doozy/

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Good luck to you, let us know how it turns out. Perhaps it's too late to offer the animal control officer some eggs. You know, let him think he is in charge, doing his job.

6. Fairiesb4u

Fairiesb4u New Egg

Jun 30, 2015
    Hopefully it all works out it is in God's hands and the community support has been tremendous. :)

7. cwolf0117

cwolf0117 New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Hello Mary-Beth,

How is it going with your fight to keep your chickens? My husband and I very much support you in your effort to keep your backyard chickens!! I want to let you know that we were also issued a citation for our chickens in Clovis. We have six hens, and they live quietly in our backyard causing trouble to no one. They are also our pets, we hand raised them and love them very much. Although the animal control officer was sympathetic, he says we cannot keep them even if our neighbors say it is okay. We support the cause, and if there is anything we can do to help let us know! The law needs to be changed; the hens hurt no one.

Sincerely,
    Your chicken loving friends

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by