Clovis took a HUGE step in the wrong direction today.

i had a rooster like that..he would do his dance and then try to jump on me. i started carrying a broom and every time he would try that, or even sometimes i would do it just to make him toe the line, i would bust his butt with it. he learned some manners really fast.
lol.png

We had two roos, BLW (Martha) and a Yellow Jap. Bantam (Princess). Martha was the king of the coop and as he got older he got more agressive. Princess was docile. Martha went in soup pot at two years old because came after DS (7 year old) and any other children all the time. Princess become the king and not long after he became agressive. The difference is the bantam is hard to take seriously and does little damage it is like a annoyance not a problem. So I guess I am saying don't be surprised if someone steps up and they become agressive too, if not great.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is sooooo true.
sad.png
I like to keep my roosters afraid of me - when those hormones kick in, they have some respect for me. Gritsar and RoosterRed have some great rooster rehabilitation tips, otherwise it's time for freezer camp.

Gal, I do not know if it will work with your roo, it does not always work.

When he "shows intent" or flaps and approaches like that, scoop his butt up and carry him around in front of the girls especially. Every time he behaves that way grab him up and carry him.

It worked here for us with our EE who got an attitude with our daughter...no one else just her. But, we know what caused their tiff and were able to work on it with him. Yours however is going after anyone...so freezer camp may be the end result.

Good luck.

Just to throw a wrench in the works, my roo gets lots of TLC from me - never once so much as a stern word - and he is the most gentle boy there is. We have been buddies for ~8 years so far. He is brave and very caring with the ladies. Everytime I write about him I think how he should have progeny! (but I've never attempted or had a hen go broody).
The point being that there is a lot of variability, depending upon the roo.
I hope Clovis will level out (while alive, that is!) and that all will be well.
JJ

Aw, what a shame. It's always the sweetest chicks that beg to be babied that turn into roosters. I hate that babying them makes them jerks . . . and yours is so pretty! Since there's children around I'm not sure I'd take the time it would require to try to curb his nature, especially since there are plenty of sweet roosters out there (or at least respectful ones).

About my other roo.

Reggie is a RIR. He is a little behind. He is 27 weeks old and just started crowing.
When he was younger he had an incident.

He fell into our brooder. OUr brooder is out in the coop, and at the time it was being used as a brooder. So it had a heat lamp on.

When he fell into it, he either was hit in the head, or he got cornered under the heat lamp and got heat stroke. We aren't sure what happened exactly.

But he was basically cripple for a while.
I brought him inside for a while and kept him in a large plastic box.
If you so much as breathed on him he would fall over.

We kept debating if we should cull him. It turned into, "If he doesn't show improvement by Friday he gets the axe."

Then by some miracle on Friday he was a little better. Not much, but a little.

That went on for about 2 months. Gradually he got moved out on to our front porch because in the coop the other roos would attack him.

I had 6 other roos. My neighbor took one, then we had the dog attack. Reggie was out in the yard, and he escaped that. But a girl who was out with him did not. Then the dog busted into my coop and decimated my flock. I lost 9 birds that day. Clovis was injured. The other remaining roo alive was lower ranking. This ended up bing the perfect time to reintroduce Reggie to the flock. (because Clovis didn't have the strength to beat up Reggie.)

Reggie is VERY strong now. But very low on the pecking order. He gets chased by pullets. He has a great deal of respect for Jeff and me.

Do you think he would become aggressive if Clovis was gone?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom