club-footed chicken

3cutechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
Newbury Park, CA
I was given a free chick a few days old with 2 clubbed feet. Is there a way to make braces or anything to help guide her to walk around somewhat normally? And will I be able to let her be around my other regular chickens when she's older or will she always need to be separated? She is eating and drinking normally and just wobbles around and makes due.

can you post a picture? That would help to see exactly what is the problem. Is the toes curled? People have taken bandaids to make little chicken shoes to help straighten them.

It turns out she walks well on the right foot. The right foot and leg work perfectly. The toes were curled on that but seem fine. Her left foot she won't put down but leans on the feathered thigh part. I'll try to post a pix

Ok. I watched a video on putting a band-aid on splayed legs. Going to see if that helps. She is still leaning on it the wrong way but I just did it last night. Hope it works!

i know this thread is a couple months old, but my chick has her toes curled on one foot & i made a "bandaid shoe," how long does it need to remain on?

okay, got it. found it on http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/CrookedFeet/CrookedFeet.html in case someone else needs help

By Alan Stanford, Ph.D.

19 September 2008

Robyn Burgess
Gucci Chick with Foot Tape
Chicks occasionally hatch with crooked feet. This almost always is a hatch problem and not genetic.
The good news is how easy and quickly you can permanently fix your little buddy's feet.

Here is how to cure crooked feet: make tape sandals!
  • First of all and most importantly, be gentle. It is easy to stress a chicken enough to kill it or make it susceptible to disease.
  • Use tape with strong enough adhesion to firmly stick to itself but with weak enough adhesion to easily and gently remove from a chick's foot; masking tape and cellophane tape do nicely.
  • Cut two pieces of tape, place one under the crooked foot with the sticky side up, and place the other above the crooked foot with the sticky side down.
  • Spread the toes in their correct positions.
  • Join the two pieces of tape between all the toes and outside the foot.
  • Trim the tape to the shape of the foot but be sure to leave enough tape outside the foot. If you trim too close to the foot the tape might come off.
  • Don't just ignore how pitifully the chick hops and complains however this is part of the healing process. The chick usually does just fine after a few hours. I've never seen it happen but perhaps a chick will refuse to move and not eat or drink. Tend to that with gentle help or remove the sandal.
  • Remove the sandal when the foot is fixed. When is that? The earlier you start, the sooner the foot is fixed. If you start 1 or 2 days after hatch, 2 to 3 days of sandals usually are enough. Whatever the duration, keep the chick in sandals until you have fixed the foot.

Back
Top Bottom