Cluck cluck from South Ga.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Father Chicken, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Father Chicken

Father Chicken New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    I'm new to the forum. My chicken life began about 3 years ago when some chickens started running the city neighborhood. Yes, city neighborhood. Instead of killing them, my neighbors and I enjoyed watching them.
    After seeing how destructive the hens are when scratching to find food, I had enough. I built a trap pen to catch them, and A tarp over my 16' fenced garden through winter worked until they all escaped.
    Several months later, a good price on fence wire led me to build a 12 x 3 foot pen which has served its purpose until two months ago. These chickens have reproduced like rabbits coming out of the woodwork. So... The pictures you see on my profile are of the big pen I built a month ago. Little did I know that this perfect coop, so I thought, would not be enough for all the hens running around.
    I built an 8' extension to make 16' total. Still didn't quite have the closet style coop just right. They would leave droppings where they would sleep in the hay, and then have nowhere clean for eggs... Just a mess. Tried a bucket attached to the wall for eggs.. Nope they covered it with droppings or should I say drippings.
    Finally, yesterday I took some wood that was given to me for free, and built a 6 chicken - egg box. (Pictures coming soon) This coop has gone from awesome to worthless, to awesome to worthless to practical and huge and awesome again. Honestly, if I didn't enjoy watching them so much, I would have trashed everything a long time ago.
    Currently I house 7 hens, two young chickens, and an old rooster. There are still 4 roosters, 2 hens, and 3 young chickens running free.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!
    That is amazing! I would love to have wild chickens!![​IMG] If you post in the What Breed Or Gender is This? forum you could try and figure out what breeds the are! I can't wait to see more pictures!

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thank you for taking in the homeless chickens and providing for them. They are a lot of fun, aren't they.

If you have questions about anything, always feel free to ask. There's a ton of information available and a lot of helpful members.

Nice to have you here!

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Father Chicken

Father Chicken New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    Uploaded new photos of the Big Pen today

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How nice of you to take in the wayward chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by