Clucks from Colorful Colorado!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wickedlees, Oct 23, 2012.

1. wickedlees

wickedlees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Centennial CO
    Hi! I'm a newbie to this sight, have been able to pop on from time to time to get info, but thought heck why not intro myself. I'm Lisa, live in a suburb of Denver, have 4 ladies. 3 black Austrolopes and 1 Americana, had 2 but our neighbor's rotten spoiled terrier got under our fence and broker her neck. :(
    My girls are going on 23 weeks, we still have not seen any eggs. I feed them a GMO free feed that I obtain from an urban market in town, as well as a container of yogurt in the morning inside of either a melon or pumpkin which they seem to just love. They get all sorts of other kitchen goodies, so far pretty much all the greens they can eat out of the garden, any tomatoes they can reach etc... The only thing I've really read not to feed them so far is potato skins and Avocados.
    I let the ladies out of their coop around 9 AM and they go back to roost when they feel like it's time, usually right around dusk. I've moved my coop just recently because something (a fox from the tracks looks like) tried to dig under. Currently the girls are up against the house on my deck, since it's been too cold for us to hang out much back there. They are backed against the house for winter warmth and out of the wind. It's a nice little nook that fit the coop perfect and it's easy for me to get to for cleaning out Also, nothing can dig under it. We shall revisit the coop location next spring/summer when we start using the deck again.

We are forcast some weather in the next couple days, and I'm curious, do you let the birds range and go out of the coop if there is weather or do you restrict and keep them cooped up? I figure that if it's too bad they'll either find a spot they like in the yard or stay in the coop, but you never know, thought I'd ask since I'm new and all....

I have been told that on cold cold nights I may need a heat light, but I think that the girls are in a pretty good spot and whenever I peek in at them at night, they seem to be huddled up in a tight bunch, so I think a light/heater may be unwarranted. I am sure wishing they'd at least pop out ONE egg! We are impatient! :) I figure it will taste that much better when it does happen! Thanks

Lisa

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi, welcome to BYC from WI...
    sounds like u have a nice flock. I bet you will start getting eggs any day now.
    as for weather, they know how to look after themselves...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. wickedlees

wickedlees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Centennial CO
    Glad to be here! :)

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky. I let mine have the choice of going out or staying in the coop during winter. Contrary to what others tell you concerning adding a heat lamp in cold weather it is not necessary. Chickens come complete with a nice thick down filled coat. Hot weather is always more of a concern than cold will be.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! I don't think a heat lamp is needed.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I never use any supplemental heat, just a good, draft-free,coop with good ventilation

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, wickedlees, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Sounds like your chickens have it made in the shade! They are so luck and pampered birds. Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by