Clucky hen keeps pushing eggs out??

cluckygirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
My clucky hen keeps pushing 3 eggs out from under her?? She is sitting on 6, every time I go to check on her she has pushed 3 eggs out?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sometimes hens can sense if their eggs are bad. So they push them out. But you should candle them first before making any final conclusions.

You may want to ask more here too
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck and glad you joined us!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Mountain Peeps X2, have you candled the eggs? How long has she been sitting? Is she pushing out the same eggs all the time / are the eggs marked? Some hens just have a certain number of eggs they like also. There are several broody hen threads you might want to check out / post on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread/6230

If you candle them and they are viable, you could try incubating them. Broody mamas aren't always right. Maybe she only wants a small family. Go figure.

What is candling? I'm very new to this so need as much info as possible :)
We are so excited that Shadow is going to be a mama, just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for her. Thank you everyone, do glad k found this site xo

Search hatching 101 and you will find a thread explaining it all. Basically though it's shinning a light on the eggs so you can see what is inside.

You could also put a pencil mark on them to see if it's the same three each time.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your broody hen!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I agree with Mountain Peeps and Kelsie. There is probably something wrong with these eggs. Broodies seem to have a sense to know something isn't right with them. I would give them a candling and see if anything is growing inside them before you come to any conclusions.

Good luck with your hatch and we do welcome you to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom