clueless in ga needs chick id help! (photo heavy)

mamaspider

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
ok, i'm gonna try this photo thing again to see if I can get some help id-ing these chicks. These were a preschool science lesson, so I just ordered the assortment from meyer which included mostly brown eggs, but some other flavors as well. with the exception of darth vader (the sort of mutant looking baby which is a whole other story!) all of these came from brown eggs. darth got peeled out of a white egg. I'm keeping most of them, but a fellow teacher is going to take a few and she and I would love to know what sort of chickens we're keeping...

sorry for all the photos, but I thought two of each chick/group would help with the id...

thanks for your help!

ps. it's sort of hard to see in the photo, but darth vader has very fine red "hairs" in addition to the yellow fuzz - mostly around his neck and shoulders.

darth vader

darthvader.jpg

darthvader2.jpg

birdie

birdie.jpg

birdie2.jpg

the bouncers (buff orpingtons or buff rocks?)

thebouncers.jpg

thebouncers2.jpg

cuties

blackandyellowbabies2.jpg

blackandyellowbabies.jpg

reds

reds.jpg

bigred.jpg

The reds look alot like the Production Reds that we got a few weeks ago. I am not an expert but that is my guess! Good luck with finding out the rest of them. I am sure a peson who is better at this will come along and help you out!

thanks! and just for my own info... production reds are a mixed version of RIR? or is that wrong?

thanks - he certainly grows on you!

and *BUMP* - some one please hazard an educated guess at least about the others?

thanks!
jean

No clue on Darth Vader.
Birdie almost looks like a sumatra, does it have a single comb?
The Bouncers look like buff orps
The cuties look like they will be mottled, maybe javas?
The Reds look like productions reds.

yes, she has a single comb. I'll have to look up Javas and Sumatras - not familiar with either breed. Buff orps, was my guess for the bouncers, too, but I wasn't sure.

thanks!
jean

Back
Top Bottom