Clueless Rooster

Donna A

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 22, 2014
I picked up a Polish Bantam rooster at a local auction. It is evident that he lived his prior life in a cage. I had to show him that it was ok to go outside, step on grass, and return to the coop at night. I have eight hens and he mostly ignores them. Instead he has focused his attention on me. He dances around my feet as if I were a hen. I have had him for about five weeks now and his behavior has persisted. I do not have any other roosters and I don't really want to get another one.

Any ideas?

He was probably handled a lot and bonded to people. I would assume he will eventually become aggressive toward you. I personally would pen him in the coop for a while to see if it helps so he can't follow you around. If he's young he might be frightened of your hens. Penning him will also allow him to become familiar with your hens through a fence, where he may feel safer. It could take some time. Polish are odd acting chickens, and sometimes aren't too bright.

He is penned in. I have a large fenced in area for them with netting over the top. It is approximately 3000 square feet. The only time he sees me is when I let them out, collect eggs, etc. He is on the younger side.

Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom