Clues for telling chicks gender?

as mentioned, its very hard to tell unless the breed is pure and you know the breed very well, like on mine i can tell from day one of hatching which are roos, but afarm mix of ebay chicks, not a clue .. usually by the second week the most telling sign to me is roosters will get longer more stout looking legs but facial features again, very hard to tell on mixed chicks, ive had hens that developed larger red combs and wattles very early i was certain would be a rooster, but nope ...
Oh good! I'm still holding out hope and nice to know it's reasonable!! My favorite (hopefully a hen!) is showing signs wattles now and I was starting to feel a little bummed. Lol
Edit to add: we have no stakes or expectations for our hatch. Just enjoying the experience and especially the challenge and bets on how many hens and roos. Trying to get a leg up on hubs!! 😂

How old is the one growing wattles. Mine usually don't until around 7 weeks for girls, but mine are different breeds
All chicks are 6 weeks this weekend. Some have wattles and they started showing a while back. They also act like roos and really get after another. Let's just say I know which will be first in the soup pot when it crows or gets to be too much of a hassle. He picks fights constantly! Hahaha
Then we have some that have very little combs and no wattles. Then my favorite has begun slight coloration by wattles but still a smaller comb. And the one I was just SURE was a roo, I'm now questioning. It is all quite fun! We have homes for the hens and will dispatch any roos we can't rehome so I'm trying not to get too attached. But I am to that one and have been since day one.
These are all mixes so no clues from breeding.

Can
All chicks are 6 weeks this weekend. Some have wattles and they started showing a while back. They also act like roos and really get after another. Let's just say I know which will be first in the soup pot when it crows or gets to be too much of a hassle. He picks fights constantly! Hahaha
Then we have some that have very little combs and no wattles. Then my favorite has begun slight coloration by wattles but still a smaller comb. And the one I was just SURE was a roo, I'm now questioning. It is all quite fun! We have homes for the hens and will dispatch any roos we can't rehome so I'm trying not to get too attached. But I am to that one and have been since day one.
These are all mixes so no clues from breeding.
Can we get updated pics?

Can
Can we get updated pics?
Unfortunately I do not have any from the last week and the older ones are not super close up. I'll try to get some this weekend. I spend time with them talking and being near but I do not want to get attached and holding/cuddling will make that difficult, especially for the roos whose fate is already determined. When we can make better guesses at which are pullets I'll handle the ladies more. They are going to good homes.

Got updated photos. Think I have at least 4 cocks out of my 20 supposed hens.1 is a definite 3 I am still unsure of but Im leaning maleee
20201127_143539.jpg
20201127_142740.jpg
20201127_144318.jpg

I think those are my cockrels! If anyone can confirm or deny Id appreciate. This is my first foray into chicken raising. I sent to Hoover for 10 each sexed female, but now that theyre a little older, looks like I got me some Roosters in my future. Maybe Ill trade a couple once Im certain....the first one Im calling Red Forman...he wants to get in everyones face. The second photo are Mutt and Jeff...very laid back...but they will get antsy from time to time. The third photo is Han Solo...hes a loner...always doing his own thing.

Back
Top Bottom