Clues that they are ready to lay the first egg?

Sylvie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Ohio
Do the pullets display a different behavior when they are ready to lay?
Do they stay in the nest box prior to laying the first egg or go in and out a lot? Mine are ignoring the nests at this point of 21 weeks.

Do they have a certain vocalization before or as they are laying the first time? Are there any links to sites to hear chicken sounds like this? I am listening through a baby monitor but not sure what I am listening for! Is it very distinctive and different from the everyday noise?

Mine have reddened up a few weeks ago. There is no interest in the oyster shell.

when they are getting closer to lay they will start to take an interest in the nest box, although some prefer to lay on the ground... which is a whole different story lol. and when you go to pick them up they will 'squat'. I don't know if yours will do this, but every day before and after my hens lay they will cluck and yell. its really really loud and embarrasing! you can put a golfball or an easter egg in the nest box to encourage them to only lay there.

My EEs starting laying at 5 and a half months of age and two weeks after I put them on a timer light. Baddabing! 7 eggs a day out of ten girls. They rotate out. We can tell from the color and shape who's done what on any given day.

Squatting, red faces . . .

Sylvie, can you move them around without a lot of fuss? If they are placed inside the nestbox a few days before laying (without it being a terrifying experience) AND they show interest in being in there - you can be pretty sure that they will be laying soon.

You can also measure the distance between their pelvic bones to find how much the oviduct has developed. It is many times larger at maturity than it was when they were younger.

Steve

LindsayB- For the first time ever some did an unusual squat when I went to pick them up today after posting my question. The wings went out and the tail up. I think this is the squat that you mean. I tried each girl and only 5 did it but just once. Golfballs have been in the nest boxes since day one.

colby318- I have had a light for maybe 12 days. On at 3:30am and off at 7am. Fingers crossed!

digitS- squatting has begun, red faces, yep.
I wish I knew to measure the pelvis when they were younger but I'll give it a look now. I'll try placing the squatters on the nest boxes and see how that goes,too.

Thanks all!

My BO at now 20 weeks is doing a lot of squatting. She is investigating the nest boxes but so far nothing. She has also become very vocal, lots of "talking" and comes up to see me and pecks me gently. The other 4 girls are reddening up but nothing yet. But my EE named chipmunk has also become very moody suddenly. Do chickens get PMS before laying??
wink.png

hsmamma

pelvicbones.jpg

And no, you don't need to pull all their feathers out to do the measuring. It is an oviduct/ovary issue - they are like 100 times larger in the laying hen than the immature pullet. Besides that . . . . she eats a lot more!

Steve

digitS' :

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/pelvicbones.jpg

And no, you don't need to pull all their feathers out to do the measuring. It is an oviduct/ovary issue - they are like 100 times larger in the laying hen than the immature pullet. Besides that . . . . she eats a lot more!

Steve

Thank you!!
I did go out and look earlier but wasn't sure what I was doing.
This illustration and your comments are great!​

Back
Top Bottom