Clumsy Yet Determined Broody

Crookshanks

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2021
My broody Australorp has smashed two nests full of eggs and then relocated to other, clean nests with unfertilized eggs.

Obviously, I should break her broodiness.
The trouble is that she is VERY determined. In fact, I thought she was egg bound at first and gave her 2 baths and even blow dried her... and she still went back to the nest.

The first clutch had 8 eggs, so I figured she just didn’t know how to move safely on them
The second clutch had only 4 eggs and she still broke it. But the bedding is pretty shallow, so she MIGHT
do better in dedicated crate. But she didn’t seem interested when I tried putting the second set in th new location. Keep in mind she HAS changed locations when the nests get dirty, just not to the crate I would prefer she go to.

Should I risk another group of eggs? Is it useful/ethical to close her into the preferred crate with some eggs for a while? Or should I start the process of breaking her?

:welcome Why not foster chicks of your choice to her? With larger hens a shallow, non padded, non bowl shaped nest is a recipe for failure.

Back
Top Bottom