Cocci in baby--what to do with older hens?

motherhenfran

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
My 5 week old golden sexlink was diagnosed with cocci today. Her brooder mate- 5 week old black australorp doesn't have it. My 7month old rooster sleeps in the garage at night near the brooder (nagging neighbors don't like his crowing in the morning) and since he's close in proximity with her my doc gave me meds for him and the two babies.

I have 4 older hens (all 7 months old) who live outside and sleep in their coop at night. They are not around the baby chicks but they do wander the garage and kitchen where the babirs free roam.

Should I be doing anything to protect my hens from the cocci? They get garlic and diatomaceous earth in their food and apple cider vinegar in their water once every couple weeks. Their immune systems are strong so the vet said I shouldn't worry about them getting it but I want to take every precaution against them getting sick.

Was thinking of maybe mixing in some medicated chick starter in their layer feed couldn't hurt.

Please provide any tips , I'd appreciate any feedback!

Thankyou!!
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png

I probably wouldn't worry about the older hens, but just keep an eye on them. They should have built up some immunity to the coccidia in the their environment by now.

Back
Top Bottom