Cocci or not?

Twiggers96

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Arcadia, FL
If it is cocci would it be poop & blood mixed together or just a great big mass of pure blood?

I have a flock of 6 chickens. They bunk down at night in a stall in the barn. 5 of the chickens sleep in the feeding trough filled with pine shavings and one, a leghorn hen, sleeps up high on a tree branch I have fitted in there as a roost. Two days ago, directly below where Leghorn sleeps (high on roost) was a 6" long by 3" wide oval/circle of pure red, wet blood. No poop, just blood. Very wet, bright red - I couldn't believe it. Immediately I checked Leghorns booty - clean/white. I checked the rest of the flock - all appear fine.

Leghorn is suffering from a bout of Avian Pox, but you would only know by her comb's condition. I live in FL and the mosquitoes have been terrible.
She eats & has energy and has produced an egg every day.

All the chickens are about 5-6 months old - brought home together at the same time. They were raised on medicated feed, until this most recent week. They were bought from a good feed store and aside from the early days, have always had access to the dirt & grass. They are free range by day and have access to feed & scratch and all the bugs a chicken could desire!

Is it possible she has cocci? Is it possible all that blood came from her*? (*See oppossum clause - below) I wish I had taken a picture.
I was so taken aback by the blood I moved it around with a twig - it was poop free, just blood.

*Oppossum Clause:
That same morning I found a dead oppossum in the barn. This is something new. No dead oppossums before chickens!
Here's what I think could have happened: Oppossum was sniffing around in the stall in the night. The very protective rooster attacked him and maybe poked some holes in his side. Oppossum slipped through the slight opening I keep in the stall door (where the blood was pooled) and crawled through to the other side and died. Would a rooster attack an oppossum ?

Last but not least:
Would you advise me to treat their water with a round of coccid meds?
Is it OK to eat the eggs she has laid w/out meds?
If I give coccid meds, is it then OK to eat those eggs?
Say she doesn't have cocci - do I really need to empty the shavings from the sleeping trough (which they also use as nesting box) every morning?

To me, this doesn't sound like cocci since she is eating, drinking, energetic and laying. Plus given her age and the fact that she has been on dirt from an early age, I would think she would have developed cocci earlier, if she was going to do so. I vote for the rooster attacking the possum. A rooster in full defensive mode is an awesome sight. What kind of rooster is he?

no, bright red blood is not a sign of coccidia. It's an iujury or the possum clause. Coccidia will be blood mixed with poop as you thought. It will be very dark brown to near black and very tarry, and stink like nothing you ever smelled before. Also it tends to strike chicken in the first few months, after they are grown, their natural immunity tends to fight off most cases. Cocci is present in the soil most every where, but especially were we live here in the south with all the humidity and such and warm temps. So birds and animals are constantly exposed to it, their immune system just fights it off most the time after they are out of the babay stage.

I think you are fine in regards to that being what you have.

Thank you TexasToucan & BoogeyBottoms!

He is an Americauna Roo and quite a big boy at that.
Sooooooo, happy it is probably the oppossum clause & not cocci!

Back
Top Bottom