Cocci or possible Mareks?

Jaws93

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Gawler, South Australia
I currently have a very sick 9 week old lavender araucana chick.
She hasn't been able to walk for two days but can hold herself up. She can eat and drink on her own. About two weeks ago we found a bloody poop in the run and started treatment for coccidiosis. Everyone seemed fine until we noticed this chick was unsteady on her feet three days ago. She went from being unsteady to being unable to walk overnight. She still has full use of her wings and can move her legs but can't stand.

I took her to a vet to be tested for cocci, however the vet gave a diagnosis of Mareks and refused to test for anything else. She recommended euthanasia and I refused incase it was weakness brought on from the cocci. She gave an antibiotic injection and gave me some anti inflammatory medication to take with me.

I have had her separated and continuing to treat with amprolium. Tomorrow will be the last day of the amprolium. Should I follow up with a vitamin supplement? If it is cocci related weakness how long before I should expect to see some improvement?
She is a very sweet chick and I really don't want to loose her.

She probably had both at one point...but then she got treated for cocci. Keep up the medication and use some vitamin supplement. Improvement comes within a week or so (from my experiences). If it does turn out to be Mareks take her to the vet.

She probably had both at one point...but then she got treated for cocci. Keep up the medication and use some vitamin supplement. Improvement comes within a week or so (from my experiences). If it does turn out to be Mareks take her to the vet.

Thanks so much for your response. I was considering taking her to a different vet if she doesn't improve within the week. I'll get her on a vitamin supplement as soon as she finishes her amprolium

Back
Top Bottom