Cocci or Worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommabird, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mommabird

mommabird Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Freeland, MD
    What are the differences between symptoms of chickens with worms & cocci? How can you tell if your chickens have one or the other.

If the problem is cocci and you treat with Corid, how long before you see improvement in your ill hens?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Symptoms are similar. Symptoms of coccidoisis are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,weight loss,not eating/drinking properly. Treating chickens with Corid for Coccidiosis will not harm them,but not treating(if they have cocci)will probably result in deaths. If treating for cocci,there should be no more blood in approx 24 hours,birds should show improvement in a couple of days.

3. mommabird

mommabird Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Freeland, MD
    Thanks. I started on Corid 3 days ago. Not seeing any blood in poo but chickens are still looking a little lethargic and rough around the feathers. Also, the chickens that stopped laying have not begun laying again. How long before their egg production comes back? I'm not so much worried about the eggs but having them lay again would make me feel like they were doing ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by