cocci?

Yes, it looks like mucous, like when you have a sinus infection and its super thick and nasty. (I've looked at too much poop the last couple of days!) And at first I thought it was maybe egg, as Louise had that happen before, but its not her (she's the oddly thirsty one) its the two that aren't laying yet and Thelma, who is laying just fine. I picked up some Corid liquid today so I'll start right away. Thanks!!!

I didn't manage to get a pic this morning, my phone was dead. But I went ahead and put Corid in their water and mixed some of the Corid water into their food as well (they LOVE wet food) and they seem perkier this afternoon. They're all over the yard instead of just sitting by their run, so I hope thats a good sign. Do I dose them for 5 or 7 days? I've seen both on here. I went with the 9.6ml per gallon.

I didn't manage to get a pic this morning, my phone was dead. But I went ahead and put Corid in their water and mixed some of the Corid water into their food as well (they LOVE wet food) and they seem perkier this afternoon. They're all over the yard instead of just sitting by their run, so I hope thats a good sign. Do I dose them for 5 or 7 days? I've seen both on here. I went with the 9.6ml per gallon.

With the 9.6% liquid Corid, 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon of water is what I've always used when treating symptoms. Do it for 7 days when treating symptoms in the flock. Corid has a fairly wide safety margin. When I'm running a preventative dose with chicks and pullets, I do it for 5 days.

Then 7 days is what I will do. I'm encouraged by today's response, I saw some runny poop but no mucous looking stuff, and they were much busier outside in the yard. I hope the activity isn't just from the improved weather though. But a few days of decent weather along with the Corid will hopefully perk everyone up.

Then 7 days is what I will do. I'm encouraged by today's response, I saw some runny poop but no mucous looking stuff, and they were much busier outside in the yard. I hope the activity isn't just from the improved weather though. But a few days of decent weather along with the Corid will hopefully perk everyone up.
After 7 days you might want to do another 7 days at 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon). That's what the mfg and the FDA recommend. When I'm not feeling lazy, that's what I do with mine.

-Kathy

Oh that's good to know, thanks! You know, I've never treated them for this before. I didn't even start them on medicated feed. I introduced them to outside very slowly, and I watched really closely and it never seemed to be an issue until I brought in all this new sand from the quarry. Maybe I was just lucky though?

Julie, you can be super careful and they may still get cocci. It's just there. If you have chicks , the cocci will do their best to find them. But then the chicks are much more resistant.

I am not a fan of medicated feed, I wonder about it making the cocci more resistant. And a lot of people may think that they're safe on medicated feed, and not see it in time if their chicks are sick.

I think it's more important to have an anticoccidial at home if you raise chicks.

Well that was kind of my thought process when I decided against the medicated starter. And I knew the move to outside would be very gradual because of our weather in the spring, so I thought they'd have time to build up immunity slowly. But then I got all this sand from a town a couple hours away, and even though its washed, its still sand and they LOVE to eat it, so I'm afraid I overwhelmed them a bit. But I still like the sand, stays warmer at night than I expected and easy to clean up. Am thinking it may have been better to wait until the temperature was lower to move it in, but I don't know how much that would have helped. I'm glad they're perking up, I really am attached to these girls.

Well, I guess I've let them have access to all my planters now too, since we had a frost and pretty much everything is done. Before I chased them out of the flowers all the time :) so I guess that's new to them soil too?

Back
Top Bottom