Coccidia possible in chick!!! NEED SULMET DOSAGE!

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
What are the symptoms of coccidia?

Does Coccidia poop stink worse than normal poop?

Does there have to be blood in the poop for the chicks to have coccidia?

I have a almost 4 week old Silkie. She just lays down, but she will walk. It could be that she slipped, but Im thinking it is coccidia. I brought the chicks outside on the grass for the first time a couple days ago, and I dont think their chick starter is medicated. I'll try and describe their poops. Well, they are a medium brown color, and formed, not liquidy. But, they do stink nasty. They stink more than they did before. I did have a chick about 3 weeks back that I had to euthanize because it wasnt growing, and it would just stand still and huddle and fluff its feathers. So im thinking that that chick had coccidia.

Now, I have somebody out who is picking me up some Coccidia medicine. Now, if they dont have coccidia, will it hurt to give them medicine? I THINK they said the medicine was Sulfadimethoxine. Not sure because the cell service kept breaking up. And for how long do I treat?

This is my first time ever dealing with this. Next time im buying medicated feed.

Last edited:
I found the dosage on the bottle. duh.
roll.png

yes it stinks more. They will be fine giving them the meds as long as it is at the proper dosage. On liguid Sulmet i think its 2 TBLS per gallon.

Last edited:
Give an effective dose (what the directions say), or it will probably not do any good, and perhaps help create a resistant organism. Medications like antibiotics and antiparasitics should always get given as directed. Don't stop as soon as they look better, and don't give less because the animal is young, old or in between. Sulmet is both an antibiotic and a coccidiostat. Sometimes less of certain things can or should be be given- like pain meds to effect- we all have different tolerances, or if something has an inability to metabolize the drug- but in most cases this is not an issue- and with antibiotics and parasite meds---(lurky) don't contribute to the growing number of resistant bad organisms around.
Also if you want to know if you actually have coccidia before starting the drug (always a good idea to know what you are treating), have a vet do a fecal float. Then next time when introducing new birds to the ground, you can have them on medicated feed (usually amprollium added) to keep the coccidia in check while they develop immunity. FYI I think Amprolium is the only approved cocci treatment for birds that will lay eggs for human consumption.
jess

but
Quote:
The bottle doesnt say so. If anybody has info on wether I should lower the dosage let me know.

Back
Top Bottom