Coccidia

I want to clarify something you said about medicated feed being banned; Most of the people in the US that I know still feed medicated feed. I can't find nay online sources confirming a ban on medicated feed. Is this a new development? And why would they ban medicated feed and not Corid, since they are both essentially giving the same medication?

Yes I know that earthworms and wild birds aren't good for the flock, but as we basically live right across the street from a large canyon, and wildlife just comes with the territory. We constantly have quail, stellars jays, robins, crows, ravens, and magpies in our yard. We tried all of the necessary deterrents (hanging CDs etc) but they don't work.

Most medicated feed that contains antibiotics is no longer available for purchase, unless through a licensed source with a prescription, and most of those are for cattle and swine. Amprolium is still available in feed. Here is an article, with links, on the subject: https://www.beefcattleinstitute.org/changes-antibiotics-regulations/
And here is a another with a list of medications that are not disallowed in feed: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/dont_wait_be_ready_new_antibiotic_rules_for_2017
I should add, that these are the U.S. regulations. I have no idea what the regulations are in Canada and how they may differ.

Last edited:
Ahh yes I wasn't referring to anything with antibiotics in the feed, just amprollium. The food regulations in Canada are much stricter than in the US and we are not allowed antibiotics in our feed. I have never/would never give my chickens any feed with antibiotics in it. I simply switched to medicated (amprol) feed after the one bird in my flock had cocci in her fecal exam.

First QUIT THE MEDICATED FEED
use only regular feed for the chicks.
Medicated feed has been banned by USA government as it caused the mess your chicks are in now.
Also use the Corrid for the 7 days in the water.
what happened is when the chicks got on new soil they picked up the coccidiosis ooyst.
Now here is the next step immediately
here is my solution to help the chickens body heal faster.
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
for one CHICK
2tbsp. of dry chicken mash or crumbles
1/2 tsp of dry flax seed meal
1 tbsp. of plain yoguart
3tbsp. of water.
1 tbsp. of unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar.
mix good
ADD TO WET MASH THREE VITAMINS
1-1000 Mg of Vit e,(cut end off vit. and squeeze it in to the wet mash.)
1-Vit B Complex (crush the vit B complex tablet into a tbsp., add a few drops of water to dissolve)
1-Selenium (crushed and add water to dissolve, put in wet mash)
now mix good and feed the hen twice daily for 7 days.
Then 2nd week
feed 5 times that week.
And feed twice a week for life.
Also can be fed to the rest of the CHICKS AS THEY HAVE THE COCCIDIOSIS..
twice a week with out vitamins.
Then one every three weeks put the vitamins in wet mash probiotic recipe.
THIS RECIPE HERE IS FOR ONE CHICKEN, TO MAKE FOR THE FLOCK MULTIPLY TIMES THE AMOUNT OF CHICKENS FEEDING.
ALSO USE HARD PLASTIC LARGE DOG BOWLS 12" BY 4 INCHES DEEP SO ALL CAN EAST IT.
This will help the hen to heal.
ALSO
add 2 tsp of acv to a gallon of water for them
such as Heinz or Braggs, sold at Walmart.
Do not add a lot of mixtures such as supplements to the water as chickens do not like it messy and will avoid drinking it.
ACV water they will drink readily.
ALSO NOTE:
after medication in water then put ACV in water.
First QUIT THE MEDICATED FEED
use only regular feed for the chicks.
Medicated feed has been banned by USA government as it caused the mess your chicks are in now.
Also use the Corrid for the 7 days in the water.
what happened is when the chicks got on new soil they picked up the coccidiosis ooyst.
Now here is the next step immediately
here is my solution to help the chickens body heal faster.
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
for one CHICK
2tbsp. of dry chicken mash or crumbles
1/2 tsp of dry flax seed meal
1 tbsp. of plain yoguart
3tbsp. of water.
1 tbsp. of unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar.
mix good
ADD TO WET MASH THREE VITAMINS
1-1000 Mg of Vit e,(cut end off vit. and squeeze it in to the wet mash.)
1-Vit B Complex (crush the vit B complex tablet into a tbsp., add a few drops of water to dissolve)
1-Selenium (crushed and add water to dissolve, put in wet mash)
now mix good and feed the hen twice daily for 7 days.
Then 2nd week
feed 5 times that week.
And feed twice a week for life.
Also can be fed to the rest of the CHICKS AS THEY HAVE THE COCCIDIOSIS..
twice a week with out vitamins.
Then one every three weeks put the vitamins in wet mash probiotic recipe.
THIS RECIPE HERE IS FOR ONE CHICKEN, TO MAKE FOR THE FLOCK MULTIPLY TIMES THE AMOUNT OF CHICKENS FEEDING.
ALSO USE HARD PLASTIC LARGE DOG BOWLS 12" BY 4 INCHES DEEP SO ALL CAN EAST IT.
This will help the hen to heal.
ALSO
add 2 tsp of acv to a gallon of water for them
such as Heinz or Braggs, sold at Walmart.
Do not add a lot of mixtures such as supplements to the water as chickens do not like it messy and will avoid drinking it.
ACV water they will drink readily.
ALSO NOTE:
after medication in water then put ACV in water.

I am making your recipe today for my hens that have coccidiosis. I have some questions on the vitamin dosages. I have Vitamin B12 1000mg. Is that ok instead of B Complex. How much is the dosage I should add per hen. How much Selenium dosage per hen. Also they are on day 7 of Corrid now and the coop was cleaned and disinfected on day one. So now day 7 should I do the whole disinfect again?

Back
Top Bottom