Coccidiosis - AGAIN?!

kalibali04

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I am at my wits end. I have 7 chickens left (lost 4 since July). They are all between 20-22 weeks old - none have laid yet.

Is it possible to have a strain of coccidiosis that just won’t go away? I’ve been battling this for months.

I was advised to do a very strong dose of corid. I did 3 tsp in a gallon of water for 7 days (new batch made daily). Today is day 6 after stopping and I found liquid blood poop in the coop this morning.

We de-wormed then in August.

The chickens are not acting sick right now. I had a decal sample tested back in September and it was positive for coccidiosis.

Is there a different medicine I need to try?

Images attached are from under their roosting bar after I let them out this morning.

Attachments

• 6D4CB986-A922-47AE-89A5-E870347A0AE7.jpeg
    6D4CB986-A922-47AE-89A5-E870347A0AE7.jpeg
    912.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 332FCFD6-A5EA-45D5-9FFB-45236377DCC4.jpeg
    332FCFD6-A5EA-45D5-9FFB-45236377DCC4.jpeg
    866.7 KB · Views: 27
Have you tried giving them a direct dose, from an Oral Drench?

You'll have to give them a nice dose through syringe. I had to do this when I had chicks get a different strain of Coccidiosis after they were moved outside.

They got both medicated water (Corid water) I mixed in probiotics for gut health which helped. I also gave them a good dose of corid through syringe. After about a week of treatment, I gave them a few days extra on the corid, & probiotic water to be 100% sure they were cured.

How are the chickens acting? Were the fecal samples loaded with coccidia or just some present? There is always going to be some coccidia present in the poop and of course the soil. If there is a lot, you need to treat it. By the age of your pullets they should be building up a tolerance to coccidia in the soil, unless they have some immunity problem, or if they have a resistant strain of coccidia.

It helps to keep their droppings cleaned up by changing bedding when needed, keeping it as dry and stirred as possible, and letting the chickens get outside on grass to roam around. Do they spend most of their time in the coop and run? I would take in some combined samples of the poop to check again for coccidia, worms, and get a gram stain for possible enteritis. You might want to try a sulfa antibiotic such as sulfadimethoxine in case the Corid is not working. I would clean out the bedding and put fresh in.

We are located in MN, so I was planning on doing to deep liter method. I've been stirring everything daily to get the poop dried out as fast as possible. They have been in the coop/run since I was giving them meds and didn't want them to get water from puddles.

After the first dose, I added an entire bag of bedding to the coop to cover everything.

Chickens seem to be acting normal. I haven't seen any indications of blood in poops until today - which you can see from the pic was liquid blood.

They'd didn't say how much coccidia was in the poop.

The run is dry (and dries out quickly if it does get a little wet).

I will try to get another test on the poop and put in fresh bedding.

How are the chickens acting? Were the fecal samples loaded with coccidia or just some present? There is always going to be some coccidia present in the poop and of course the soil. If there is a lot, you need to treat it. By the age of your pullets they should be building up a tolerance to coccidia in the soil, unless they have some immunity problem, or if they have a resistant strain of coccidia.

It helps to keep their droppings cleaned up by changing bedding when needed, keeping it as dry and stirred as possible, and letting the chickens get outside on grass to roam around. Do they spend most of their time in the coop and run? I would take in some combined samples of the poop to check again for coccidia, worms, and get a gram stain for possible enteritis. You might want to try a sulfa antibiotic such as sulfadimethoxine in case the Corid is not working. I would clean out the bedding and put fresh in.

I have not tried an oral drench. What dose did you use?

Did you give them medicated water and the drench each day?

Have you tried giving them a direct dose, from an Oral Drench?

You'll have to give them a nice dose through syringe. I had to do this when I had chicks get a different strain of Coccidiosis after they were moved outside.

They got both medicated water (Corid water) I mixed in probiotics for gut health which helped. I also gave them a good dose of corid through syringe. After about a week of treatment, I gave them a few days extra on the corid, & probiotic water to be 100% sure they were cured.

You can mix 1 1/2 tsp of the powder in 2 tsp of water, and then give 0.1 ml per pound twice a day as a drench. Continue to offer the treated water as well. The deep litter method has to be done a certain way to be successful, and not cause more problems. I am not a fan of it, but here is some info on it:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-deep-litter-method-of-waste/

There are 9 types of Coccidia that can infect chickens. There are 2 of the 9 types that Corid is ineffective in treating. As mentioned by @Eggcessive , you will need a sulfa drug to treat the chicks. Sulfadimethoxine would be your best choice but requires a script by a vet. An alternative would be SMZ-TMP tablets aka Bird Sulfa.

Back
Top Bottom