Coccidiosis and mites???

asteria819

Chirping
May 2, 2019
TN
Hello lovely Backyard Chicken folks. I have a few issues. We have some younger babies (11-13 weeks) we have separated from our flock of big girls. We had a major cold snap the last few days and we kept them outside for a couple of them, but we noticed they continued to have their feathers puffed up all day long even yesterday when the sun was shining so we brought them in last night thinking maybe it was because they were just REALLY cold. Well, we have a small area we kept them and I go to put them back outside this morning and there were a few chicken poops that looked like the picture I have attached. One of the girls was still pretty puffed up even though she clearly couldn't have been cold. Does that poop look like coccidiosis?? I also read that it could be intestinal lining shed, but let's be real, it's probably coccidiosis lol.

I was examining the girl who was more puffed up than the rest because her tail feathers looked a little rough like it had some type of fluid in it previously and dried. When I was looking at her butt I noticed she had MITES AT THE BASE OF HER TAIL FEATHER! I could not believe it. We have yet to have an issue with mites. I checked the other young ones and there were a few present on them as well. I immediately checked my older girls and they didn't appear to have any mites on them nor are their feathers puffed up like the young ones.

Thank you for reading if you have taken the time, lol. I have done some research and I think I will get some Sevin dust and put that on them. I will probably also get some amprolium for their water to treat even the possibility of coccidiosis. I'm so sad this has happened. We recently got a new girl to add to our younger flock and I am willing to bet that's where the mites could have come from. We kept her separated for a bit from them while introducing and did not see any mites or issues at the time, but I guess we were wrong.

Any suggestions or input on this are welcome!!!

Attachments

• chickenpoop.jpeg
    chickenpoop.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
Hi there, sorry your birds are not feeling well. :hugs May I suggest that you get some permethrin dust or spray instead of Sevin? I say this because there are some studies that say mites are resistant to Sevin (carbaryl) and it's no longer labeled for use on poultry.

If they are not drinking enough water I would give them a Corid drench in addition to their medicated water. Direction are here:
Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions

This shows how to give oral meds,
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

This shows the Corid dose
Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose

This is a screenshot from Tractor Supply.
gordons_4.PNG

ts_dust.png

Hi there, sorry your birds are not feeling well. :hugs May I suggest that you get some permethrin dust or spray instead of Sevin? I say this because there are some studies that say mites are resistant to Sevin (carbaryl) and it's no longer labeled for use on poultry.

If they are not drinking enough water I would give them a Corid drench in addition to their medicated water. Direction are here:

View attachment 2008564
View attachment 2008565
I will try that! Are these okay to use together? Thank you so much!!

The dust and the spray for the mites, I mean
You would want to use one or the other on the birds, not both. I would buy both though and since it's winter, I would spray the coop and dust the birds because spraying them can chill them, and chilling a sick bird could kill it.

Oh, forgot to comment on this. That is blood, almost certainly coccidiosis. do you know which one pooped that?
Yes. Luckily she pooped shortly after I got to them. Whether or not the other ones also have poop like that though, not sure. Going to get supplies ASAP.

You would want to use one or the other on the birds, not both. I would buy both though and since it's winter, I would spray the coop and dust the birds because spraying them can chill them, and chilling a sick bird could kill it.
Noted. Thank you SO much again.

View attachment 2008564
View attachment 2008565
Just wondering, do you have an estimate on when they should start feeling better? She has been drinking water just fine but she is still puffed up. I looked in the coop this morning to look at the poop and there were a few that were a little bloody but it didn't seem to have nearly as much as what was pictured. I am probably going to do an oral dose just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom