Coccidiosis or Shredding Intestine? Picture included; Need Advice

Basia St Clair

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - several different breed including silkies, andulusians, easter eggers, brahmas, barred rock, bard yard mix of previous breeds listed
2) What is the behavior, exactly. I've treated for round worm (100%) confirmed with wormeze, next treatment in 6 days. Now i Noticed what is pictured below in chicken poo.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? They all seem very energetic, laying eggs, look good
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Could it have been the wormeze treatment?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I feed all birds non gmo corn free soy free tucker milling starter/grower, free choice oyster shell calcium and corn free soy free scratch as a treat/
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. See picture
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I treated entire flock with WormEze 3 days ago. Intend to treat again in 6 days
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself. I have CORID. I've treated once before for coccidiosis about 2 years ago. I'm not sure its a good idea to give the CORID now for 5 days as 1) I've just treated for round worm, 2) I will be treating with WormEze again in 6 days and 3) if this is shredded intestine because of treatment then I dont need to treat at all
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. I have a huge open run and pen. They also free range a few hours a day. I use shredded pine for coop bedding. I have sand in some parts of run. Occasionally if its dry enough i throw in straw. I use lemon grass, lemon balm, rosemary, mint, garlic, rose petals, marigolds anything else in the yard good for the chickens.
Here is what I would really like to know: I'm not sure its a good idea to give the CORID now for 5 days as 1) I've just treated for round worm, 2) I will be treating with WormEze again in 6 days and 3) if this is shredded intestine because of treatment then I don't
20231024_093130.jpg
need to treat at all. Does the picture look like shredding intestine or Coccidiosis. I'm leaning toward shredding intestine but would like a little more advice from folks who have had chickens much longer than i have.

Looks like shed intestinal lining to me. Which would not be surprising if they've been wormed and lost a bunch of worms from the intestines. The walls will slough off the damaged tissue to regenerate healthy tissue.
I would supplement with a little buttermilk in a mash made from their feed for a few days and do that again after the follow up dose.

Looks like shed intestinal lining to me. Which would not be surprising if they've been wormed and lost a bunch of worms from the intestines. The walls will slough off the damaged tissue to regenerate healthy tissue.
I would supplement with a little buttermilk in a mash made from their feed for a few days and do that again after the follow up dose.
Thanks millions. That's what I thought as well but still to new to feel confident. 2 or 3 birds did have a heavy worm load :(. It was a REALLY wet spring and summer.

Will make the mash with buttermilk. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks millions. That's what I thought as well but still to new to feel confident. 2 or 3 birds did have a heavy worm load :(. It was a REALLY wet spring and summer.

Will make the mash with buttermilk. Thanks for the ad
If you're mixing the wormer in water, there's no guarantee that all your birds will drink it or drink enough of it to be effective, and sick birds dont drink.
Wormeze only eliminates large roundworms. You'd be better off using a broad spectrum wormer that eliminates all types of poultry roundworms such as Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer.
You're dealing with heavy wormloads: Valbazen would be best since it slowly kills worms over several days and no need to worry about toxic worm overload.
You can go ahead and give your birds Corid if you wish, it is a thiamine blocker. It wont harm your birds while your worming birds.
The buttermilk mash would be best given after worming and after using Corid.

Back
Top Bottom