Coccidiosis? returning?

PeachLily

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
PLEASE HELP! I have 11 chicks aged 7 to 17 weeks- first time chicken owner. Pretty sure it's coccidiosis as 4 weeks ago 1 chick died, saw bloody poop, then next chick VERY lethargic same as the one that died. Nursed her back with Corid mixed at rate of 2 tsp/gallon in eye dropper every 4 hours. Happy I saved her as I thought I was going to lose her. Immediately started treating all other chicks in their drinking water. Within a day or so blood no longer noticeable in poop so continued with dosing at same rate. By 6th or so day bloody poop reappeared. Continued same treatment and blood once again not noticeable until again 5th or 6th day slight blood started reappearing. Behavior normal except for a couple of poops being slightly mucous-y and slightly bloody. Most poop normal. Same pattern going on for 4 weeks. I never stopped the Corid. As soon as I thought things could go to maintenance mode I saw a couple more bloody poop (but not severe). What is going on? Does this mean another chick gets the disease each cycle? Or is it not coccidiosis? How long can I treat my flock before its done or the parasites get resistant? Getting frustrated and worried.

Last edited:
We have little mesh pens outside we put them in....(so the hawks can't get them..!)
So they are exposed to cocci, and the pens are moveable...=)
I think its the wetness that opens the cells or shells and releases the cocci...?

Oh well...its a terrible thing to deal with, especially when chicks die... =(

OH you guys!!!!! Thanks so much - I found a post in BYC with a chart of photos of chick poop. It IS lining - that's EXACTLY what it looks like - I am SO HAPPY. I can take my babies off the Corid and stop worrying !!!!!!

you said you never stopped the corrid....
it almost sounds like you've given them to much..?

I believe its 5 to 7 days.... or what ever it says on back...
then wait I think 10 days.... or something
I don't have a bottle in the house....
or I could tell you...

make sure your pen or cage you have them in... is very clean...
make sure to change the water often, because they poop in it...
and thats how they get coccidiosis.

You may have already did the things mentioned above...
but I wasn't sure.... so I just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know..... =)

Yes I was keeping things clean and the reason I kept them on Corid: as I approached the 5th day I saw another bloody poop ( well only slightly red so I thought they were still infected)so I incorrectly thought I should continue treatment. Then another 5 days later saw another similar poop. It's sometimes tough being a first time chicken owner!

you said you never stopped the corrid....
it almost sounds like you've given them to much..?

I believe its 5 to 7 days.... or what ever it says on back...
then wait I think 10 days.... or something
I don't have a bottle in the house....
or I could tell you...

make sure your pen or cage you have them in... is very clean...
make sure to change the water often, because they poop in it...
and thats how they get coccidiosis.

You may have already did the things mentioned above...
but I wasn't sure.... so I just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know..... =)

Quote:
Corid is gentle and usually hard to overdose. It is a Thiamine blocker. A lot of people do an initial treatment for 5-7days and then follow with a "preventative dose" which is a weaker mix for another 5days. So I think you are ok.

You many want to give them some Poultry Vitamins and Probiotics/plain yogurt for a few days to help give them a boost.

http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html

Back
Top Bottom