NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
WORRIED NEW CHICK MOM HERE.
I have (had) 11 chicks vaccinated for coccidiosis and Merck’s delivered this morning. Shipped on Monday; they arrive 3 days old from hatchery. I have lost 4 already (one DOA). Two had watery blood spots for stool. I am thinking coccidiosis but the blood spots did not have stool per se, just thin fluid crimson spots on paper towel. I feed nonmedicated chick crumble and provided vitamin and electrolyte in water. They were under heat plate in well ventilated and draft free brooder.
I have read somewhere on BYC that when giving Corid treatment vitamin B should not be given. My questions are
1. Can days old chicks contract coccidiosis despite vaccination?
2. Were my vaccinated chicks harmed by having vitamin supplement in the water?
3. Is it safe to give Corid to vaccinated chicks if I suspect coccidiosis?
4. What if the blood spotting was something else but I treat remaining birds anyway..Will Corid treatment nullify future protection?

I know these are is a lot of questions. I’ve lost 4/11. These were birds meant for a future breeding project and I am so worried I’ll loose more.

Thanks BYC.

WORRIED NEW CHICK MOM HERE.
I have (had) 11 chicks vaccinated for coccidiosis and Merck’s delivered this morning. Shipped on Monday; they arrive 3 days old from hatchery. I have lost 4 already (one DOA). Two had watery blood spots for stool. I am thinking coccidiosis but the blood spots did not have stool per se, just thin fluid crimson spots on paper towel. I feed nonmedicated chick crumble and provided vitamin and electrolyte in water. They were under heat plate in well ventilated and draft free brooder.
I have read somewhere on BYC that when giving Corid treatment vitamin B should not be given. My questions are
1. Can days old chicks contract coccidiosis despite vaccination?
2. Were my vaccinated chicks harmed by having vitamin supplement in the water?
3. Is it safe to give Corid to vaccinated chicks if I suspect coccidiosis?
4. What if the blood spotting was something else but I treat remaining birds anyway..Will Corid treatment nullify future protection?

I know these are is a lot of questions. I’ve lost 4/11. These were birds meant for a future breeding project and I am so worried I’ll loose more.

Thanks BYC.
As asked in your other thread. Please post some photos of the blood spots. Thank You!

If your chicks were vaccinated with Coccidial vaccine (you had to specify that on your order and it should be on your invoice as well!) It is NOT the same thing as Amprolium (Corid). Continue to treat your chicks for shipping stress as you have been doing.

Inspect your chicks to see if they have bleeding navels, I wonder if this is where the spots are coming from. Speculation on my part since there's no photos....

Back
Top Bottom